• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7 Track Speed?

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
What is the targetted track speed in a deep pow climb, at 9,000 feet?

I have an 06 153 camoplast, stock exhaust with rk head and lower gearing - 55/65. I really never paid much attention to track speed before the regear but this weekend I was keeping an eye on it and it was holding strong at 35. And with the lower gearing it seemed to hold the speed and rmps better then stock. Just curious if that is good or if I should be getting better. Also I was riding 8,500 to a little over 9,000.

Thanks

Last edited:

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Primary - 66 cat weights, SLP maroon spring (can't remember exactly the manufacture on the spring), and Thundershift ABC kit

Secondary - stock 36 helix and sheeves (not the 10.4), cat green compression spring, shift assist, rock rollers, and bdx belt deflection adjuster

When I was really watching - we were at 9,280 feet on a short run and pull in pretty deep untouched pow. It would hold sold at slight over 7,700 rpms and 35 track speed.

I did notice when were around 8,500 feet, maybe slightly lower, the rpms would hold higher, slightly over 7,900, which i beleive is where it should be right? But I was not watching the track speed closely then.

The RK head has domes for 6-9,000 feet.

All geared up I probably weigh 230 pounds

With the clutching, setup and my weight; I figure I might be slighly under performing at 9,000+ feet.

Just curious what others are seeing and if I'm off on my thoughts. Or if I should be doing something different.

Again this was the first trip out with the lower gearing. Definitely has a little more snap on the bottom, but also it seemed to hold a lot stronger on pulls and not get loaded down as easily vs. the stock gearing. Wish I would have paid more attention to track speed with the stock gearing. RPM wish I didn't really notice a change with the new gears.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
M
Nov 14, 2009
I ride an 06 M7LE 162" with a milled head and speedwerx can. Stock gearing (can't recall what the gear ratio is) and clutching was done before I bought it so I'm not sure what weights I'm running. No shift assist and stock belt deflection adjuster. I have been waqtching RPM and track speed and at about 9200 feet I am pulling around 7950 rpm and 42 to 48mph track speed in deep powder. I weigh about 165 with all of my gear on. I ride with another guy that has the same sled with a 153" and alot of clutching mods done and he will pull about 35-38mph on the same hill. Not sure why mine gets more track speed but I haven't messed with the clutching because it seems to work well.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I weigh about 165 with all of my gear on.

Hum, we might be getting where my true curiousity lyes. Happen to know how much your riding buddy weighs or at least a best guess? Have you guys ever switched sleds to see what results you get then? Is he holding the same RPMs, 7,950? Is he running the same head or a stock head? Also what tracks are you guys running? Ultimatley, I'm wondering if it's more my body weight and the load I put on the sled; and if there is any fine tuning i can do, clutch wise, to compensate or have I basically reached my max with how much I weigh. Does a riders weight have that much impact on track speed? I'd assume yes. Seems logical a rider weighing 160 would obtain more track speed vs a rider that is 230. But how much of any impact would that have, maybe not much, or is altitude the bigger player. Next trip I'll definitely pay more attention at lower altitudes.

I ride an 06 M7LE 162" with a milled head and speedwerx can. Stock gearing (can't recall what the gear ratio is) and clutching was done before I bought it so I'm not sure what weights I'm running. No shift assist and stock belt deflection adjuster. I have been waqtching RPM and track speed and at about 9200 feet I am pulling around 7950 rpm and 42 to 48mph track speed in deep powder.

It would be awesome if you could take a closer look and see if you can tell what weights you have. What springs are you running in the primary and secondary? If you didn't know, even the color would be helpful. Your sled is an LE, so I'd assume it's the titanium in the primary, which I heard is a good spring.

Send me a PM if you don't want to give any secrets away to your riding buddy. :face-icon-small-win

I appreciate the post, thank you!

Last edited:
M
Nov 14, 2009
We have switched sleds and pretty much the same results. His sled just didn't have as much track speed, it still reved around 7900-8000 though. He is maybe 15lbs. heavier then me. I think he has a stock head and his is an 05. (thought it was an 06 before). My diamond drive has 57T-63T gears so that will give it more top speed. I'll have to look at the springs and see if I can tell what weights I'm running this evening. I'll let you know tomorrow. A good friend of mine was the original owner and I know he always said it just seems to run better then alot of the other M7's he rode with. Not sure why.

M
Nov 14, 2009
I checked the clutching last night and I'm running a yellow/white primary spring (0646-229). Couldn't tell what gram weights were on it. On the secondary it has a Titanium 110/260 white spring and a 36 degree cam (0648-765A). This sled would have had a titanium primary spring stock but the clutch has been replaced so they must have changed it.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I checked the clutching last night and I'm running a yellow/white primary spring (0646-229). Couldn't tell what gram weights were on it. On the secondary it has a Titanium 110/260 white spring and a 36 degree cam (0648-765A). This sled would have had a titanium primary spring stock but the clutch has been replaced so they must have changed it.

Thanks for looking into that. Don't know what it is with these sleds, why one runs better then the other, equally setup, but they do. My old man has the exact same sled as mine, completly stock mine had the low end bog his did not. Really can't compare the two any longer, he doesn't ride mountains anymore and its setup with the low altitude kit, but one of these days I'm going to steal his ECU....hahaha! :behindsofa:

Premium Features