• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

chain case gets hot anyone seen this?

C
Mar 10, 2010
just stretched and regeared my 99 sks to 151 with 19/40 gears. after rideing 10 miles the chain case gets extremely hot,just took cover off and is eating top gear. any ideas what would cause this? Thanks

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
Barring lack of lubricant, place the 2 gears in place and run a straightedge along the outer faces. It should touch both gears flatly. I'm thinking you may have left out a shim used to align the gears. Look on the back side of the old lower gear.

C
Mar 10, 2010
still has oil in it does not loose it all and keep topping off. it seems to line up straight. is not eating side of gear just the leading edge it pulls off of.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
What gears? An 18 top gear will wear alot more than a 19 or 20. They also wear alot more when new and not that much after awhile.

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
Some wear on the leading face is normal and the smaller the sprocket the more noticeable. If you look at the inside of the chain you'll see that the links only align at a certain bend radius. Anything off of that radius and you have only half the links contacting the sprocket. Also a used chain, dependant on mileage, will have worn with the old gear and placing it on a new sprocket will show wear in a short amount of time.

C
Mar 10, 2010
chain does not look too tight .tightened it finger tight and backed off half a turn,wear is on top 19 tooth sprocket only.has about 40 total miles on it and shows considerable wear. we shortened orignial 70p chain to 68p by taking links out starting to think this may be my issue.

B
wow I run mine tighter than that.... I go finger tight plus a 1/4 turn:face-icon-small-dis

used chain?
If so should have bought new one the rite lengh when buying new gears

they wear together, once wore alittle, it will do all it can to get in its original "groove" again!!!!

And as you said the wear is only on the new gear...

Are you a car, engine, guy?

If so......

Whould you just replace one gear, on a timing chain? And use the old chain? On a freshn up?

Last edited:
F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
I have 5700 miles on my original chain in my 700 RMK 144. I usually run 20-39 in MN and have used 19-40 and 18-41 out west. I also ran 18-41 in MN for a couple seasons because it is really fun with a 2" track!

I bought it new and the first 2 rides the chaincse fluid literally boiled out of the chaincase. I broke it in on a local lake. Put 40 miles on it, parked it. The next morning all of my fluid was on the trailer! WTF? Pulled it all apart, replaced cover gasket, refilled and rode it again. Did the same thing!

Switched to synthetic fluid as Polaris was selling mineral back then and set the chain finger tight then backed off 5 flats. Been fine ever since.

The other issue could be your silencer. Is it stock? if so they have been known to break apart internally causing excessive backpressure, which causes LOTS of heat.

Look at a schematic of the chaincase to make sure you have all the right parts in their correct places. if you do then there should be no allignment issues.

Premium Features