• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tach no worky

B
Dec 1, 2007
Saskatoon, SK
Well ive had some electrical gremlins on the 99 over the season. it all started with the first ride out, the voltage regulator went. So we put a used polaris one just to get me home, everything worked fine. Once home I went and bought a new VR, put it in and only found that it was putting out 6 volts. So we put the used one I had back in thinking that the VR was the problem. This weekend I was riding it and it cooked all the low beam and my taillight bulbs and the tach b4 it blew the inline fuse. The lights however were not overly bright during all of this which leads me to wonder.

So we put the new voltage regulator back in it and it is putting out 12 volts, changed the bulbs as well. Everything works but the tach, from what i have searched it sounds like it could be the lighting coil/stator? Or did my tach just happen to bite the dust?

I never tried disconnecting my tail lights to see if there is a short in them which I may just try. We checked over the wiring under the hood and engine and it all seems in check.

any help figuring this out would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
M

McLaughlin_7

Oct 12, 2009
S.E. South Dakota
i had kinda the same problem my VR went out so replaced it and it worked fine then a few rides later tach just quit working changed the tach and havent had a problem since so probably fried the tach

Premium Features