• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ACCS testing?

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Yup pull it off the sled. Throw it in the trash can if it holds the liner in its working just fine.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

M

mitty26

Jan 4, 2008
Alberta
LOL , ya i would like to keep it on there just to keep this machine 100% stock. I mean it must have worked at one time or maybe it is still working. Does something inside go bad after a while?

M

mitty26

Jan 4, 2008
Alberta
so what did you follow for jetting? I see the 600 xc kept the same main but dropped the pilot down from 50 in the rmk to 38 in the xc. Why no change in the main?

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
ACCS

The ACCS worked on the concept that the less pressure there was on the float bowl it would allow less fuel into the airstream and basically lean the carb out. Lower elevation meant more pressure and it would push more fuel in richening the air/fuel mixture.

I had an ACCS unit on my 99 700 and it always ran pig rich no matter what I did. Especially after installing aftermarket pipes and heads.

The diaphram inside can get worn out and get a hole or a tear and it wont work at all.
I talked to the Polaris rep in West at the expo that year and after badgering him to death, got him to admit that they had a problem with their supplier that year and that they did have alot of problems with the ACCS.
In my opinion Polaris never did have it quite figured out quite like Skidoo did.

I ripped mine off and it ran tons better and my mileage jumped from about 2-3 with it to 8-9 without it. Like I said PIG RICH, Ripped it off and never worried about it again.

M

mitty26

Jan 4, 2008
Alberta
Thanks for the help turbolover, What did you end up doing with the vac lines going up to the accs unit? Did you just vent them down under the carbs? I am having trouble with going from idle to WFO , it will stumble for a bit then clean out. It gets worst the longer it sits and idles. I am at 180 mains , 45 pilots, 2 turns out on air screw needle at 2.5 from top. if i follow a 99 600 xc they go with a 185 main and a 38 pilot. I am at 2200 feet and the sled will only be used in warmer conditions so i am thinking disconnect accs and run 38 pilot 180 main clip in #3 and start at 1 turn out on air screw.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I see the 600 xc kept the same main but dropped the pilot down from 50 in the rmk to 38 in the xc. Why no change in the main?

Jetting was set for the lowest possible altitude so that is why the main jet is for sea level. The ACCS was supposed to compensate for higher altitudes and supply less fuel as altitude increased. I have 2 99 RMK600 with ACCS and never missed a beat but I changed the 50 pilot to a 40 which helped tremendously.

Anyway to remove it just cap the vacuum port on the carb which runs to the ACCS and vent the carbs to the airbox.

One thing about the jetting is that the RMK came with 6.0 slides and the XC I believe came with a 5.5 slide. Difference between slides is that the 6.0 will be slightly leaner at off idle throttle operation but if you go on #3 on the jet needle it should be good. I would jet it as per the 98 RMK 600 which had the same carbs as the 99 but no ACCS.

M

mitty26

Jan 4, 2008
Alberta
Thanks retiredpop. Did you end up staying at a 185 main? i checked on some main jet specs and it varies so much for this 600 lol. The 99 called for 185 ,the 2000 called for 175, the 98 had 160 with no accs . I also checked on 99 xc 600 and they call for a 185 with no accs .

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I stayed with the 185 mains just because the ACCS does not compensate for temperatures. In warm springtime riding I could have gone down a couple of jet sizes but it ran good with the 185's.

N
Jan 10, 2011
montana
i dont know if this will help you much but my 99 700 rmk did about the same it would run great here in town at 4000 ft but get it at 6 to 10k ft it would gargle spit sputter and run like a slug if it was idleing and you nailed it. ran fine once it cleared and you kept on the pipe. i almost yanked off the accs thinking that was my prob but i ended up getting the slp power pacs and spent a half hour or so playin with the air screw and it runs awsome now no studder to speak of and it feels like they helped the mid and top end as well. somethin to look into as you said you would like to keep it stock!

M

mitty26

Jan 4, 2008
Alberta
Well i went with a 40 pilot and bumped the main up to a 182 and it seemed worst. i am starting to think that the accs is toast and i am super rich on the mains. Dropping the pilots is not doing much at all, maybe i should start going the other way with the mains. I guess the next step will be about a 175 main . I am running brand new ngk spark plugs so doing a plug chop is seeming to be hard , the plugs are so new that they are super clean.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
6-9K on a stock sled:

145-148mains
38 pilots
1371G needle in #2 for above zero and # 3 for below zero.

You will be amazed how good your sled runs.

Premium Features