• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1995 storm 800

A
Jan 22, 2011
this has probably been covered many times, but i guess i just cant figure it out. i just purchased a 95 storm, not sure if has updated nic cylinders. my problem is it has a nasty burbble, pop at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle, then it clears out and pulls super hard 1/4 to full throttle. the compression isnt optimum at about 114 across the board, but there isnt more than a 2 psi variable. i ride in minnesota at under 1000 ft. it is jetted 370 380 410 as per the chart, doing a plug chop at wide open condition plugs are coffee to slightly darker. so mains are ok. carbs have 45 pilots, air mix screws out 1 turn, 6cgy3 needles in middle (3rd) clip position. the clutching seems perfect as it pulls to 9200, backshifts nice, engages a bit high due to the notched weights (not sure what weight as i have not removed primary yet) i did replace stock 23/37 gears with 21/38 set i had, made a huge improvement on the holeshot, but this light throttle condition sux, sometimes it will actually bog out unless i feather the throttle to get the rpms up, but this usually only occurs when it is a bit cold still. any help would be greatly appreciated

brushfit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2008
Boise,Idaho
sounds as though evrything is right on...are your carbs in sinc, with all the slack out of the throttle cable? sometimes the tss will try and shut you down just off idle,I've had that prob with a lot of sleds,but they usually will be hard to start as well....you may try to move clips up one as well,but usually run fine on 3..you may have to bump up your pilots but it sounds right...there will be others on to help soon but that might give you some thought. btw I always grab some choke to see if I am lean or not with a low end bog when I am throttling up...usually lets you know right away which way to go

A
Jan 22, 2011
its fat (rich) for sure as it starts to die if i put choke on at all. the plugs are oil fouled because i am running 1/2 a tank of premix through it due to replacing all the oil lines. carb settings, synch all seem to be ok, i just bought a 3 window aaen egt with probes, so after this fuel rolls through ill be able too see which way to go with it. it could be the excessively rich oil mixture its getting, but it did this when i first bought it also before i cleaned the carbs. im also thinking of trying b8es plugs instead of the b9es im running, see if that helps. i did check for air leaks also, none found. i guess i will just have to run it wide open like it likes to be run. it is much more fun, but could get tricky on tight trails

brushfit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2008
Boise,Idaho
its fat (rich) for sure as it starts to die if i put choke on at all. the plugs are oil fouled because i am running 1/2 a tank of premix through it due to replacing all the oil lines. carb settings, synch all seem to be ok, i just bought a 3 window aaen egt with probes, so after this fuel rolls through ill be able too see which way to go with it. it could be the excessively rich oil mixture its getting, but it did this when i first bought it also before i cleaned the carbs. im also thinking of trying b8es plugs instead of the b9es im running, see if that helps. i did check for air leaks also, none found. i guess i will just have to run it wide open like it likes to be run. it is much more fun, but could get tricky on tight trails

Well you are alot lower in elevation than we out west...so try clips lower or smaller pilots....I hate a sled that won't run right ,takes all the fun out of it!! this maybe a rhetorical question farley....but you have looked in the airbox?

brushfit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2008
Boise,Idaho
nice segway. yea, airbox is ok, completely clean and all foam seals are in place

I was glancing through the manual and found #35 pilots for the older non xlt triples but it didn't list the 8oo...I know the pilot circuit fuels the sled until after 1/8 throttle then the mains start pullin fuel...so you might try a smaller pilot...just my 2 cents:tongue:

A
Jan 22, 2011
my thoughts exactly, all the posts i found about the 35 pilots were on the 750s though. so i got a set of 40s, gonna double check my sych on the carbs and try it, thank for your help

R

Rrrrrrandyw

Dec 9, 2010
Ogden, Utah
Yep, I was thinking smaller pilots are probably the fix, I have a 96 storm motor, that runs about 7-9000 feet. It is jetted with 350's across the board, but I honestly can't remember what pilots are in it. Let us know how it turns out. I am curious to know what the fix was.

A
Jan 22, 2011
sorry bout the delay in info, been sick. the 40 pilots helped a ton, almost perfect now, i think i could even run a set of 35s and it would get even better. this sled is pretty damn fast for a such an old machine. almost impressive. the 21/38 gearing i installed helps a ton also.

A
Jan 22, 2011
will do. my temps at WOT were running at about 1170, a bit rich, but safe. but i only had about 1/8 to 1/4 mile straights i could do hard pulls on, this weekend im gonna take it out and try to run at least 2 tanks of fuel through it too get the rest of the premix out and see what the egt temps are across the entire throttle range and do numerous plug chops

Premium Features