• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rivets? - Tunnel mods, Drop & Roll

88Merkur

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2009
To any of you that have done a drop and roll or made tunnel mods - what type of rivets did you use and where did you get them? I was looking in the Polaris parts diagrams and it looks like they have about 5 different types of rivets. Can I just use steel pop rivets?

Thanks,

Dan

M
Jul 9, 2009
for the 1/4 rivots we bought an automotive manual rivoter. looks kina like a bolt cutter. Also on mine I used all stainless rivots, they cost alot more but will hold up better. good luck

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
go to your local small aircraft airport...find the supply/parts store..you need solid rivits(they make both aluminum and steel, you want aluminum..), you need the installer tool and the buck(installer tool is specific for each size rivit and is used with a air hammer..)..it is by far the best way to attach parts and way stronger then pop rivits.......(the whole setup minus the air hammer should cost you less then 100.00 with enough rivits to do a whole sled...
Picture248.jpg

Picture246.jpg

Picture312.jpg

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
stainless

go with the stainless, pneumatic is the most fun way to pull rivets. Best gift my bride ever bought me was my air-rivet-gun.

The aircraft rivets look cool and I am sure that they are the strongest, but not all of us have those resources. Trick lookin' tunnel by the way.

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
Considering that pop rivets are hollow, I figured that SS screws should have about the same amount of shear strength as SS pop rivets. Not having an air compressor and not wanting to spend the money to buy huge commercial quality rivet puller, I just used screws.

88Merkur

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2009
Thank You

Thanks to all who replied. I do have a local small airport so I will check with them to see if anything is available. As far as a pneumatic rivet gun, my friend says it's a must to buy an expensive one. I had my eye on one at Harbor Freight, less than $100.00 I think. What type of guns are you using and will an inexpensive one work ok? And finally, those that are using rivets, did anybody find an inexpensive supplier on the internet? Thanks for all the info.

Dan

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I use a top of the line Snap-on air hammer..but I turn my air pressure way down on it...I dont think a 40.00 special will do it..but I see no reason a 100-140.00 air hammer wont do just fine.....I buy all my rivits locally..so no help online...

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Thanks to all who replied. I do have a local small airport so I will check with them to see if anything is available. As far as a pneumatic rivet gun, my friend says it's a must to buy an expensive one. I had my eye on one at Harbor Freight, less than $100.00 I think. What type of guns are you using and will an inexpensive one work ok? And finally, those that are using rivets, did anybody find an inexpensive supplier on the internet? Thanks for all the info.

Dan

I have 2 sizes of harbor freight riveters and they work great. If they were used everyday all day, I'd think differently, but they are awesome for occasional use.

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
I try to use solid rivets when possible. Be sure they have the dimple on the top of the head to identify them as being hard rivets and not soft.
If not a solid rivet my second choice would be the structural steel magnalock or monobolt type rivet. They are strong and if the hole isn't perfict they will conform to the shape of the hole better than other pull type rivets.
My last choice would be the stainless steel rivet for strength. They would be my first choice for looks but they are not as strong as steel rivets of the same size. Kind of like a bolt the best you can get is a grade 5 ss not a grade 8. If using the stainless rivet I would still use it in the magnalock or monobolt style.
As for cost most often the solid aluminum hard rivets and steel magna type rivets are at least a third of the cost less than the ss rivets.
Not recommended is the standard pull type aluminum or steel button type rivet. After setting the stem breaks at the bottom part of the rivet by the button head leaving the body of the rivet hollow and in time it will work loose.

Premium Features