• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'95 xcr 600 motor help. carbs?

P
Dec 7, 2007
Braham Minnesota
Ok so my xcr ran awesome this summer. Come to winter it got cold and now it runs like trash. i figured i would mess with the etting for it. I took out the 30's for pilot jets and put in some 25's.. it seems to work good for about 2 days.. now it doesnt hardly stay running. It runs on 2 cylinders now for sure..
After it ran crappy i shut it off and felt the pipes and the clutch side was cold. It does have spark. Also tried new plugs. Seems to be a fuel issue maybe..
-My thoughts would be a needle and seat? If so is there a way to see if its bad?
-Another would be maybe a compression check on it?
-Ive checked fuel lines and fuel pumps and filters. All seem to be well.

Right now i am running 25's for pilot jets and 290's for the mains.

I have SLP triple pipes on it. Gutted airbox. Ive been stumped on this for while now. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Ryan

Z
Dec 28, 2009
libby,mt
I looked on slp web site, it shows altitude 0-3000 ft and temp -20 to +10 with slp pipes you should run 240 main and 35 pilot. if you have high flow airbox you should try 240 mains. so what your running now is lean on bottom and rich on top end. then to fine tune adjust air screws 1/8 - 1/4 turn at a time till you have the best throttle response.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Leaking needle and seats usually show up as a super rich low end that you just can't get to clean up.

Where does it run poorly(what rpm and throttle position) and what is it doing when it is.

Are you sure your carbs are synched? Those 600 triples were real finicky if they were not synched right.

Yes do a compression check on it. My brother had one with low compression that I fought trying to tune, never could get it for more than one ride, bogged out of the hole every time then came alive. Finally asked him how fresh the top end was. It had 7500 miles on it.:rolleyes:

F

Flatbed

Dec 17, 2007
Wyoming
jetting

You went the wrong way on your jetting. If it ran good in the summer you were jetted for that temp. The colder it gets the bigger the jets. If I remember right the triples were a jet size different on each cylinder, especially with pipes and gutted airbox. Start out with the biggest jets required for your application and jet down according to your plug read. I had a 91 650 back in the day with pipes and gutted box and if i remember right at 9000 feet I ran 35 pilots, needle in 2nd notch and 195, 200, and 210 mains. One cylinder on the triples always ran a little hotter. Hope this helps. PM me for more help.

P
Dec 7, 2007
Braham Minnesota
Hey thanks guys! Ill try switching to the 240 mains and I have some 30 pilots that i just took out.. ill start with that. Then if that doesnt work ill go to 35 pilots. So what yous saying it so go bigger with the sizes the more i mess with it, correct?

Right now when i try to start it.. it doesnt wanna go. I have to have full choke on and then it seems to run on the 2 cylinders. center and exhuast exit side.(mag?) When it was running good.. it was kind of boggy on the low end.. then when the rpms got up high it screamed across a field and bogged down in about 5 seconds.

Greatly appreciated input guys! I wont have time to play with it today. But tomorrow i should. So ill let you know what i find out.

Thanks again!

Ryan

P
Dec 7, 2007
Braham Minnesota
Alrighty guys, i picked up some new jets today.. 240 mains and 35 pilots.

The low end seems to be pretty good but now the top end.. when your on the gas for a little bit. Seems to die out.. wondering if the mains are too small now and maybe i should try some 250's or 260's? It also started to pop a little bit too. Decided to put it away right away when that started.. dont wanna break anything..

What do you guys think?

Thanks alot once again :)

Ryan

B
Nov 15, 2009
Gunnison Co.
kinda going through the same thing. sled was screaming till about 7000 then falling off, popping , mag side cooler and wet when i kill it . took a needle seat out of another old carb. Getting better 8000 lots snappier plug still a little wet when I kill it at wot still a slight pop. gonna pick up some new needle seats on Mon. Been threw everything else a million times already. Hopefully this is it.

Premium Features