• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Storm 800 project

08nightfire

Oct 10, 2009
NW Iowa
A buddy and I are currently converting his 800 storm over to a 144. Thanks to everyones input on how to mount the skid!! He was going to run a 1 3/4 track but cant find one. I have found many 2" and he has a line on one right now for $200. The guy that has the track said he can go to a 7 tooth driver and it will clear is this true? Also what gearing should we go to or is stock fine? We ride in IA and MN but will be going west also.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
try and get ahold of stormtrooper on the 4m...he's busy workign but he should have your answers.

A 7 tooth should give you the clearance. for gearing you probably would be OK with stock but you most likely will want more lower end to spin the track.

What are you using for extensions?

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
you can clear the 2" track with * tooth drivers, it is tight and close but it is possible.

all you have to do is remove the tunnel protectors under the tunnel.

Just got done doing a build on a 93 xlt, we ended up putting a EDGE RMK 144" skid under it with a 2" track....

check into it, you can always go 7 tooth if u want as well.

good luck

CK

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Hi. Mine is a Gen II with a 7,05" c-c distance i the chaincase. Running a 2,25" fingertrack there now on stock 9tooth drivers, 2,52" pitch.

Will be changing to 2,52" pitch 8tooth drivers now because of high rpm power.
Need help gearing down since chaincase will accept 41 (possibly 42) lower gear max.

Do some math on engine rpm/gearing/speed before buying to much and see if you might want to do a drop and roll and keep your drivers. Stock drivers should be 2,52 pitch 9tooths, never heard that any Storm came with 8??

Send me a pm with your e-mail and I'll send you a excel sheet with a speed calculator.

RS

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
What year/model is this to begin with?

RS

08nightfire

Oct 10, 2009
NW Iowa
We are useing a 1995 Storm 800. It will have the stock motor with a fresh rebuild and a Rmk 144 skid. Just got the 2in track and a set of 6 tooth yamaha drivers. I will take some pictures this weekend as we install the skid. Hopefully the track and drivers will be in next week...

08nightfire

Oct 10, 2009
NW Iowa
After removing the track and skid on the 800 we are thinking of useing the 600 xlt. The only thing I see that is different is the coolers in the back of the tunnel. Would I need to mount these on the xlt to keep the 800 cool or do yu guys thing the 600 coolers will be enough?

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
When figuring what gearing to use, don't forget to take into account the amount of gear reduction you get from using smaller drivers. Dropping from 9 tooth to 8 tooth drivers gives you 8.9% lower gear ratio. That's about the same (or just a bit more) as dropping 2 teeth on the top sprocket. Going from 9 to 7 tooth drivers would be like dropping 4 teeth on the top sprocket.

I'm running a 144 edge RMK skid on an XLT SP with a 2.25 finger track that was cut down to 1.8 by the previous owner. I'm running 19/41 in the chaincase with 8 tooth drivers. I was going to run 21/41 (with a 68p chain), but a very knowledgeable person at the dealer convinced me to stay with the 66p chain and run 18 or 19 top sprocket with the 41 bottom (I added a reverse kit and was already locked into 41 bottom because I got a new 41 reverse sprocket super cheap).

After the first test run, I'm really glad I went with this gearing. It's perfect for the 600 SP motor, but I'm sure it would be too low for an 800 storm motor. I would guess 19 or 20 over 39 would be a good starting point for the 800 with 8 tooth drivers.

Also, the speedometer and odometer won't be accurate anymore with smaller drivers. SLP sells speedometer adapters for 8 tooth drivers for $50. I bought to of them (one for my sled and one for my wife's sled). Not that I care if the speedometer is correct, but I like to have the odometer mileage be at least close to correct.

08nightfire

Oct 10, 2009
NW Iowa
Thanks skis_n_skid!! One thing I just noticed on the xlt is the motor mounts are about 10" on center and the storm is 11". Not a big deal I can redo the mounts. After seeing that i started wondering if we can fit the pipes in the xlt. The storm had the xrtra 10 susp and the xlt has the 12. I havent put the motor in and tried it but was hoping someone can just tell me yes you can make it work or no it wont at all.

R
Nov 20, 2009
Fort St.John, BC
I used to run a 144" X 2" in my Storm with 8" drivers. It was slower due to the lower gearing result. 7" would be very low. I can't imagine going to 6". It would have no top speed at all!

08nightfire

Oct 10, 2009
NW Iowa
The way i figured it the sled would have a top speed of about 83. Im in to process of finding diffenrt gears for the chain case

Mar 13, 2009
What year storm motor are you using? I ran into all sorts of trouble mounting a 94 storm 800 in my 95 xcr 600 chassis. Steering, pipes, clutch center to center, water manifold, haven't even got to carbs or electrics yet. I think a guy needs wedge chassis storm motor plates. I sure could use some insight.

S
Nov 4, 2009
NW Iowa
We decided to stay with the storm chassis because of the motor mounting issues, it was much easier to put the xlt parts on on the storm than redoing motor mounts. Plus the tripple pipes wouldnt have fit over the xtra 12 front suspension without some mods. As for the carbs and electrics that should be the same as far as i know.

what does your xcr have for suspension?

Premium Features