• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Secondary Stuck on Jack Shaft

900 Cat

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2008
Pocatello, Idaho
I have been changing out the track on my 93" Indy 500 Classic and also wanted to service the clutches while I am at it. I went to pull the secondary and it is stuck on the jack shaft. I have applied some heat to the outsid sheave, but have not been able to get it to budge. Any tricks to getting this secondary off the jack shaft? Thanks in advance. :confused:

K
Mar 16, 2008
You could try leaning the sled on it's side(clutch side up), and spray some penetrating oil around the shaft and go at it that way.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Clutch

Sounds like no grease on the shaft so it is probably rusted in place. I would try some kind of pentrating oil in on the end where the bolt goes. You could even rock it over on the right side and fill the shaft hole full. Let it sit for a couple of days.

Next I would try taping it in and out with a rubber hammer to see it you can work it loose.

As a last resort, you can pull the shaft out completely. This will likely reguire taking loose the left side belly pan so you can get it out with the clutch on.

Open the chaincase and remove the top gear. May be a good idea to pull the chaincase off completely. The top bearing fits the shaft pretty tight and may be a little difficult to get out. Also this may give you enough play that you don't need to take the belly pan loose on the left. Also reassembly of the seal collar, o-ring and brake disc will be easier.

Reach behind the driven with a wrench and remove the bearing retainer bolts. You should then be able to slide the whole thing out.

Once you get it out, you can support the clutch and use a 1/2 inch extension as a drift to drive the shaft out of the clutch. The female end should go right inside the clutch and down against the end of the shaft.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Tip it up on edge and soak the crud out of it. I had that on a '94 Indy Lite which has a different clutch, splined instead of keyed. It had a lot more surface to hold and didn't want to budge. After about 5 days it started to move slightly, then it was just a matter of time to get it off.

I would hold the total removal step until after you soaked it first. Don't heat it too much or beat it too hard, neither will cause good things to happen.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
If you can't get it off by soaking and tapping on it, and I stress TAPPING not hitting it.

Remove the jackshaft like stated above and take it to someone that's got a hydraulic press and press it out. Take the helix, and moveable sheeve off so it's just the solid shieve and the center hub (this might not be possible if the jackshaft bearing is only able to be pressed on from the clutch side), this will allow you access to heat the hub and the hub only. Put some heat to it along with some pressure with the press and it should press out without damaging everything. When you press it put your blocks against the hub NOT THE CLUTCH SHEEVe or you stand the risk of separating the sheeve from the hub and your entire secondary is then junk.

900 Cat

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2008
Pocatello, Idaho
Success

I was finally able to get the primary off the jack shaft. I did tip and started soaking with PB Blaster. But with taping with wood block and hammer still did not get it to move much. I applied heat and got it to move farther. I then moved it back into place with the bolt and then tapped it out again. After about three times of this procedure, it finally came free. Thanks for the good avice. :face-icon-small-hap

J
Dec 22, 2008
Well, I had to take a 5 lb B.F.H to my secondary a few days ago. Got a used one for 60 bucks and back in buisness. I checked my bearings, all feel fine. I messed it up the clutch a little at first, then smashed my finger. That's when I got a little mad, and the clutch fell off.

Premium Features