• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

summit clutch help

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
looking for a hand here. 03 summit 700. got the primary apart. rollers move nicely. a few questions. where would i find a kit to replace the slider shoes, o rings, little springs, etc. also, should a guy replace the primary and secondary springs? how long before they wear out and lose performance?

secondary. sounds dumb, but how do i get it apart? i know i need to compress it to get the two halves of the snap ring out. which way is this thing going to come apart? its RER. what should i be looking for?

if anybody has some how to's or some pics that would be awesome. i would love to get parts ordered quick. going to try to get it done before next friday 10-2-09.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I have some illustrations here from one of my online photo albums.

HPV-27

where would i find a kit to replace the slider shoes
Local dealer however I would not replace the torque buttons.

o rings
-yep, can replace them

little springs
-Yep, they sag out and contribute to rattling sounds. clicky about noisy primary

also, should a guy replace the primary and secondary springs?
-Primary springs check the free length and if around 3/16~1/4 inch less than original spec, then replace.
-Secondary spring can sag 3/8 of an inch no problem and still maintain within 10 lbs installation force, any more than 3/8 sag, what the heck, change em out.
They're an economical replacement.

how long before they wear out and lose performance?
-once the spring sets and sags more than those dimensions.

Last edited:

vendetta

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Langley B.C
hey joe

is there a certain amount of pretension you have to ahve on the secondary spring. I think in your vid you said about 20 pounds of tension.
i have a stock clutch for a 2000 summit highmark 700.

thanks Rob

Last edited:
C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
I have some illustrations here from one of my online photo albums.

HPV-27

where would i find a kit to replace the slider shoes
Local dealer however I would not replace the torque buttons.

o rings
-yep, can replace them

little springs
-Yep, they sag out and contribute to rattling sounds. clicky about noisy primary

also, should a guy replace the primary and secondary springs?
-Primary springs check the free length and if around 3/16~1/4 inch less than original spec, then replace.
-Secondary spring can sag 3/8 of an inch no problem and still maintain within 10 lbs installation force, any more than 3/8 sag, what the heck, change em out.
They're an economical replacement.

how long before they wear out and lose performance?
-once the spring sets and sags more than those dimensions.

ok, now how do i find out how much free length i am supposed to have on the springs? the primary is violet/yellow 415 015 300
not sure on the secondary. just woke up a while ago and looked at your reply. i need to watch your slide show again to make sure i am disassembling the secondary the right way. so, am i going to have to bind that spring when i reassemble it? it is an RER sled. what differs within the clutches from RER to non RER?

just to make sure, the slider shoes and the torque buttons are the same thing right? they should be ok? i guess i don't know what they are supposed to look like, so i can't tell if they are wore out or not.

is it safe to clean the clutches like i do with the cat clutches, soap and water?

V
Sep 22, 2008
Clutch kit tra primary

Western power sports kit 53-22560 made by spi for $89.95 the buttons are not pictured in the kit ,but are included .

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
ok, now how do i find out how much free length i am supposed to have on the springs? the primary is violet/yellow 415 015 300
not sure on the secondary. just woke up a while ago and looked at your reply. i need to watch your slide show again to make sure i am disassembling the secondary the right way. so, am i going to have to bind that spring when i reassemble it? it is an RER sled. what differs within the clutches from RER to non RER?

just to make sure, the slider shoes and the torque buttons are the same thing right? they should be ok? i guess i don't know what they are supposed to look like, so i can't tell if they are wore out or not.

is it safe to clean the clutches like i do with the cat clutches, soap and water?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's the primary spring lengths....I don't have the secondary chart....

On the RER, the spring is in compression only....no little tab and torsion wind up. Also, make sure your clutch compressor tool is good and long as the RER spring is much ,longer.

Soap and water is just fine.

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills

The sliders/buttons/shoes should have a slot in them like for a large flat blade screwdriver, if the slot is gone the buttons are worn out and need to be replaced.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
hey joe

is there a certain amount of pretension you have to ahve on the secondary spring. I think in your vid you said about 20 pounds of tension.
i have a stock clutch for a 2000 summit highmark 700.

thanks Rob

Buddy...
I don't know the values for a summit.
If you were citing the video I did on my youtube site that pretension value was strictly for the roller secondary in that particular trail sled.

I think a gent who could cite you the proper pretension value would be Big John.

...or you could find a used hpv secondary, refurbish it and have an improvement for less than $hunnid bones. :devil:

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
cool. i remember seeing the slots last night. so, they should be good. oh, nice truck in the picture. makes me miss my old 85:face-icon-small-sad

I own and have owned many skidoos and I have never seen a set of those sliders wear out and don't worry about cleaning the black residue out of the towers that the buttons slide in, it helps them slide and if you clean it out they will have to wear in again. Here is a better pic of the truck, I totally reconditioned (not restored) it 10 years ago, I hate to brag but in certain light conditions it is stunning, I get many looks and people pointing when I drive it and many compliments when I show it, been in the family since new in 1976.

100_1326.jpg

Premium Features