• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pre Season Check... Primary Clutch bolt

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Check to see that the primary clutch bolt on your sled has not stretched and that the taper on the clutch bore and the PTO taper are in good shape before you run this year.

A stretched bolt will not reach torque spec.. It will have a slight hourglass shape to the part of the bolt that is the smallest diameter just above the threads.

This is especially true on the 900's that use a 96 ft lb spec and the new CFi sleds with an 80 lb torqe spec.

These instructions are for the 900 but, except for the torque rating, apply to all sleds.

Pre season attention in this area can help curb any downtime or catastophys during the season.

Now would also be the time to check/wash your belt, set the side clearance and belt deflection.

Good planning and maint. can give you a great season!!

clutchinstall900Libertys.jpg

here is the part number for the 900 clutch bolt 7518412 $18.57 at babbitts online

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Also....Check your track clips. My 08 Dragon 800 with stock track had 4 clips that were about ready to come off, they were that loose. I tried to close them with a huge pair of channel locks and they didnt budge...tough suckers thats for sure. Need a special tool for it I would guess..

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
DD...

Call your dealer and talk to the MGR... tell them you are concerend about the saftey of those behind you and putting a hole in the cooler....

If one of those clips rockets off of there it could spear someone... Polaris should fix this or replace you track for free without a deductable since it is such a safety issue...

Use words like "limiting liability" any you should see quick results as Polaris and dealers generally want to do the right thing when it comes to safety.

R
Dec 17, 2006
Check to see that the primary clutch bolt on your sled has not stretched and that the taper on the clutch bore and the PTO taper are in good shape before you run this year.

A stretched bolt will not reach torque spec.. It will have a slight hourglass shape to the part of the bolt that is the smallest diameter just above the threads.

This is especially true on the 900's that use a 96 ft lb spec and the new CFi sleds with an 80 lb torqe spec.

These instructions are for the 900 but, except for the torque rating, apply to all sleds.

Pre season attention in this area can help curb any downtime or catastophys during the season.

Now would also be the time to check/wash your belt, set the side clearance and belt deflection.

The Polaris primarys are notorius for balance issues... Send yours into Power Addiction for a balance... His user-name on the forum here is 1200psi.

Good planning and maint. can give you a great season!!

clutchinstall900Libertys.jpg

here is the part number for the 900 clutch bolt 7518412 $18.57 at babbitts online

I went to order this bolt ,and it came up, that it was over 15.00 to ship, sent them 3or4 emails and no one replys back, called them was put on hold for 8mins. and then when I talk to someone ,they said all orders are done online what's with that. anyone got a good used one mine does look like the hour glass.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Locktight is really not necessary on the bolt... especially since it will keep you from getting accurate readings on re-torquing the bolt after the first ride as perscribed and at regular intervals during the season.

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Good post seen a 900 loose a crank a few years back because of a worn out bolt.

Also if you have not sent in your used old clutch for a ballance job DO IT!!! Well worth the money some of the Polaris clutches are way off and it is worth every penny.

Not in any order here are some guys that do great work and I am sure I am missing some.

1200PSI

SLP

Indy Dan

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Good post seen a 900 loose a crank a few years back because of a worn out bolt.

Also if you have not sent in your used old clutch for a ballance job DO IT!!! Well worth the money some of the Polaris clutches are way off and it is worth every penny.

Not in any order here are some guys that do great work and I am sure I am missing some.

1200PSI

SLP

Indy Dan

Carls Cycle also

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
And the 900 can be a lot of fun to get a primary off of also,bent a few pullers before using the "hydraulic theory".
Found it to work well on all sleds if primary has not been off in a while....

Premium Features