• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo or Supercharge ?

C
Jan 13, 2009
Palmer AK
Looking to upgrade my 08 Nytro, I love to ride but hate to work on it.Need easy install, no hacking or chopping and on pump gas. I've never seen a heads up race between a turbo and a SC--why?
I ride with a 1000 Skidoo, installing nitros this year and an 800 Dragon getting boost this year too. I need to keep up and not miss any riding time working on the sled, after all thats why I bought the Yami. Thanks

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
Hehehehehehehehe I see how ya are! :D

I say put on a turbo, a new track and install a winch :p

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
I don't think they make a Super charger that runs on pump gas, but if they do, I would go with the super charger...NO turbo lag.

Good luck

They do make a supercharger to run pump fuel, 8lbs of boost on premium pump.

As for a clean simple install supers are hard to beat. Clean instant throttle response although you have to deal with a fuel box thats not all that great and bad fuel mileage. Mcx turbos is making a pump fuel kit this year good for 180hp, simple install, no fuel buttons to deal with and adjusts boost with alt, touch of lag. If you want to run a bit more hp there are alot of great kits out there, impulse makes a fantastic kit that runs pump fuel with a headshim, mcx as well, all the way up to 270hp or more with good fuel. Lots of great options out there that will all put a smile on your face.

Last edited:
Turbo all the way

My buddy's SC nytro is nice but he always has to play with the fuel settings, he has a MPI stage 2 modified with apex injectors and before anyone asks yes he did have to play with the fuel settings before the apex injectors thats why he tried them. As far as clean install it is for sure cleaner then my turbo but # 4 # can't touch my turbo. The only difference was he had a 162x15x2.5 CE I had a 162x15x2.5 A20 in the hill clime position. Both had the mountain tamer skids. In 1 day i seen him burn up 2 SC belts @ 70 bucks each (lost a bolt on the pulley) . As far as turbo lag, I out weigh him by 30-40 lbs and can beat him out of the hole every time. Now that been said when it is working properly (apparently there is a fix for the fuel problems people have been having) it really shines in the tree's but falls short when climbing. He has to run 100% race fuel but i also run 100% race fuel by choice. The directions that MPI sends out with there kit is second to none that i have ever seen. The thing that made me go Turbo over SC is the fact that if you want more power you have to pay for it in both money and time (buying and changing out pulley's) with my kit all i have to do is press some buttons and i can go from 12-24 lbs race fuel or pump gas or a mix of the 2. SC are a great product for the write person in this case they were not for me. any boost will be way better then none at all. My .02:beer;:beer;

C
Jan 13, 2009
Palmer AK
Thanks guys, I like it deep, any issues between the two? I like to boondock too and just assumed the SC would be the ticket for tight spots, I'll do a monster hill climb occasionally but I like the trees. I'm also not against high octane its just more convenient.

Well imo the turbo is the only way to go, I also ride with a buddy that has a super on his nytro, it is a MPI kit as well, I ride an apex with alpine 2871, the nytro will not compare at all, I would never wast my time to even think about a supercharger, oh and if there is so much lag on the turbo set up, then how come I can just hand him his a$$ in a drag race ?????? TURBO IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO PERIOD.
As far as pump gas you can still run pump gas up to 12 psi with the turbo, talk to rip and tear on here he will tell you all about his alpine pump gas turbo at 17 psi boost.

Hope I could help.

Premium Features