• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018/19 Snowy Range Snow Conditions

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Is there any story yet? I’ve been waiting for the story to
Come out and nothing on here anyway.

No full story yet that I’ve read. Headed there tomorrow and will try to ask around.

Only thing I heard was during the ordeal that they dropped in, but couldn’t get out. That’s obvious. I’m more curious as to how they even ended up there from Quealy at 2pm.

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
Agree with filling as many jugs as you have in Laramie. weve always had good luck with fly store fuel right on snowy range road. 91 octane no ethanol. friendly store was almost twice as high as in town in december

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
No full story yet that I’ve read. Headed there tomorrow and will try to ask around.

Only thing I heard was during the ordeal that they dropped in, but couldn’t get out. That’s obvious. I’m more curious as to how they even ended up there from Quealy at 2pm.

My thoughts exactly.

S
Dec 30, 2007
SD
I could see going to turn right onto P but getting onto 113 or Rock Creek Trail. Never been in that area but ungroomed trails with fresh snow -could easily happen.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
OK, so skewl me a bit here....

I've rode the Snowies 2 or 3 times, but it's been quite a while since I've been there, and I don't know my way around there, so I just run clean-up. Sure, I would have the truck on the GPS, but otherwise I'm just following along.

I have figgered out where they were, and I understand that it is on the opposite side of the rec area as the common trailheads, but I don't follow how y'all "don't understand how they got in there".

Given that it was early season and I'm sure that they were out looking for untracked snow, it would seem likely that the further you go from the truck, the more likely you would find untracked snow. ???

They had new and big sleds, so they could cover some ground....

So - why would it be so cornfusing as to how they ended up there?
Are you expecting it to be past the point of no return for fuel maybe?

DeathRowRacer

Lifetime Membership
Oct 27, 2013
Gillette, WY
The Saturday they were last seen was near whiteout conditions. They were looping around to get back to their truck and missed the trail and started heading into the drainage. They made a camp the first night where it was still pretty good going and continued down the next day. Why they didn't turn back when things started getting interesting is the question. We've all done this and got into a bit of trouble, these guys got into a whole heap of trouble. They are all safe and in one peice, let's move on and learn from it.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
The Saturday they were last seen was near whiteout conditions. They were looping around to get back to their truck and missed the trail and started heading into the drainage. They made a camp the first night where it was still pretty good going and continued down the next day. Why they didn't turn back when things started getting interesting is the question. We've all done this and got into a bit of trouble, these guys got into a whole heap of trouble. They are all safe and in one peice, let's move on and learn from it.
Ah... In looking at the trail map “missing the trail” makes sense, if they were coming up K (which they probably were if they were at Queely), and missed the turn onto O or P, they likely kept going straight right down deep creek. Yikes.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com

At 4 nights in the bush and come out unscathed, I think they set the bar! :hail:

Sure, it's a bit embarrassing, but I hope that they will tell their story.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Ah... In looking at the trail map “missing the trail” makes sense, if they were coming up K (which they probably were if they were at Queely), and missed the turn onto O or P, they likely kept going straight right down deep creek. Yikes.

If found the Polaris ride command app very very helpful in situations like that. Just download the offline maps before you go.

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE

Yeah, we ventured down deep creek once, but it wasn't during a white out. We still had a heck of a time getting all our group out of there. You mark it down towards "experience", so you avoid that area in the future. I also agree that I hope they post their experience on here, so we ALL can learn from it.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
There's four sleds there. I bet a yeti put down some hot water on the trail out and turned to ice. So they could ride this winter

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
I was out there the day they went missing. Terrible terrible visibility that day. Would be interesting to see if they ever post a full story.

jorgy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Iowa
Is someone going to come up with a name for this area like the Seven Fools area is affectionately named? :face-icon-small-blu:face-icon-small-hap

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
We were there that day also. We actually started the fire in quealy hut that morning because all of our goggles were frosted from the snow and frost in the air. Anyway we had tried to go up the marked trail from Brooklyn lake to sand lake. Got up on top and found no markers on "o" trail yet and wind was howling and couldn't see much. we turned back and then went down "q" to "n" and to quealey. Visibility still bad so we decided to stay on groomed trails and went to rendevouz. Had lunch and then rode the "n" trail circle to the north and back by quealey. It wasn't the most adventurous day but we still got to ride. Our ride back over libby flats to green rock was road marker to road marker visibility. I have the utmost respect for those guys that got hung out there but in the snowies you have got to respect the weather and the mountains. I am so glad that it turned out the way it did. We had been praying for that outcome from the time we heard about it. I also am waiting to see their story and all the survival rations and equipment they had with them.

Lander

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2011
Casper, WY
My friend has ridden his MTB on the Rock Trail trail (not shown on the map but it does exists) which is about 7.5 miles from the north end to where it meets with Deep Creek & 3% avg grade. They should easily be able to ride those sleds out to the North end once the snow sets up early spring. Even if it isn't set up I'm not sure why they couldn't ride them out? I'm sure they were probably reluctant to keep heading down the creek bottom if they didn't know exactly where they were at. I'm curious as to how far they had to walk/ski to SAR?

Last edited:

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY
Is someone going to come up with a name for this area like the Seven Fools area is affectionately named? :face-icon-small-blu:face-icon-small-hap

Four Blessings.

No other way to describe the entire situation. I too have been up there during white out conditions. It is a terrible feeling when you can't even see the front of your own sled. I would really like to commend the group for using their heads and not getting into panic mode. They did what you're supposed to do. They started a fire and remained with the machines. A lot easier to see four 12ft long objects plus the four riders and the fire, rather than 4 guys walking under tree cover.

Premium Features