• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer led back up lights

Sledhed2012

Lifetime Membership
Sep 5, 2016
River Falls,WI
I'm looking to wire in some led lights onto the back of my trailer so when i put the truck in reverse the lights turn on so I can see where im backing up. Has anyone ever done this and which wires would I splice into so I can make it work. Thanks for any input you guys might have!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Your 7 pin trailer connector has a terminal for reverse lights. Your trailer may already have the wire in the harness, just not hooked up.

Depending on how long your trailer is, it may work better to mount the lights on the sides, pointing back at an angle. Just dont mount the on the rear under the trailer...they will get torn off.

Sledhed2012

Lifetime Membership
Sep 5, 2016
River Falls,WI
SRX...thanks! I have a 27' legend inline and was hoping to mount the led cube lights to the trailer just above the rear door. Going to do this when I mount the led strip lights inside the trailer and wire them off the 12 volt break away battery and wire that to the 7 pin so i can keep the battery charged while i drive. Then I can use the lights when the truck and trailer are disconnected. Thanks again!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I would wire them to a separate switch so you can blind someone that follows with their brights on or tailgates too close.

the fix-it guy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
cottonwood,mn
I did this on my trailer. I mounted a halogen flood light on the roof ( leds weren’t available then) in the center and angled it down.

Sledhed2012

Lifetime Membership
Sep 5, 2016
River Falls,WI
fix it.......did you wire on a seperate switch? A switch inside the truck or did you have to get out and flip the switch inside the trailer? I have auxiliary switches in my truck im going to try and get the wires to.
Thanks

the fix-it guy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
cottonwood,mn
I wired it directly into the 7 pin trailer connecter, there is a terminal for back up lights that come on when you put the transmission in reverse.

Premium Features