• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gifted an 06 rmk 600 144" - Now what?

J
Dec 5, 2017
My gramps gave me his stock '06 600 RMK HO 144 IQ with 700 hours. I've ridden this sled many times in the past and I like it but it needs some mods. I was thinking about extending the track to 159 and maybe a can + intake to get some more power. A SLP clutch kit would be nice too. I'm 6'4" 220lb and an aggressive rider in WA State where we swim in powder so I'm concerned that it just isn't enough sled for me as-is.

Is investing in it the right idea? Maybe selling it for something newer and more powerful is smarter move?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Yeah, hard to recommend on that one. If it were me, I can't see turning right around and selling it. I'd say keep it until you an afford a Pro or newer. Is this the sled you've mainly been riding? To my mind, it's a great starter sled, although not a pure powder sled. Pretty sure you'd do ok on the powder with a 15x track, gear down, and whatever other upgrades you can afford. Whether that's worth it depends on whether you can find the track and skid for cheap, but you're in a great area for that. One other thing to keep in mind, the carb'd 600 is basically bulletproof. Be a shame to sell it and stretch your budget for an 800, only to have it blow up on you!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My gramps gave me his stock '06 600 RMK HO 144 IQ with 700 hours. I've ridden this sled many times in the past and I like it but it needs some mods. I was thinking about extending the track to 159 and maybe a can + intake to get some more power. A SLP clutch kit would be nice too. I'm 6'4" 220lb and an aggressive rider in WA State where we swim in powder so I'm concerned that it just isn't enough sled for me as-is.

Is investing in it the right idea? Maybe selling it for something newer and more powerful is smarter move?

What is your riding level? How experienced are you?
With your size, I wouldn't mod it.

I snowcheck that exact sled for my wife back in 2006. It's a great buggy and it is capable of quite a bit.

He's right, that 600 carbed engine is bulletproof.

If you're out-riding it's ability, then upgrading isn't a bad idea, however, selling a recent gift is a whole other complexity to the family dynamic.

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
You can gift it to me so I have a set. A 144 and a 155.

My little 07 155 is a great sled. Not sure Id spend much to upgrade it to a longer track unless you want to keep it. I put a Pro rear suspension in my 155 and it really help get up on the snow instead of plowing, but it was already a 155 and the used suspension was $340.

Ive ridden for years on lots of sleds/mods and now that I'm old it does most everything I want, but a used pro is next up for me. If you want more sled, save up and get a 13+pro. They are under 5k now.

800drgnplt

Jan 12, 2010
Rochester, MN
Have a 10’ iq 144” 800 RMK. Besides tunnel extension what else would I have to do to make that 159 work? Change drivers? Gears? I’m interested this 144” is just a little short for me I’m near out riding it.

I'm not sure what you decided to do, but I would be interested in your 144" rear suspension if you chose to go with a different one.

Premium Features