• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Camso DTS 129 installed on my 2017 Beta 500 RR-S (Pics)

B
First, thanks to all who have been answering all my questions. I appreciate all of your help.

I got my kit Friday morning. I started the install/teardown Saturday morning and finished it not long ago. I didn't work straight through at all but just when I could. Install was actually very easy and everything is, in fact, bolt and go. Teardown was harder-if one could even call it that, but as I got my bike new this past 02/22/2017 and with 2,000 miles and 200 hours, most of the miles from commuting about 50 miles per week and every day that it didn't rain, the rest from trail riding.

The Beta is a dual sport and an awesome trail bike. I know I will not want for power as the bike has all the power that I have needed on the trail-this is a good thing. I'm also glad I more than mastered the bike as riding on snow is going to feel like nothing compared to getting beaten up mile after mile on the trails. It is going to be a blast this winter.

One of the only challenges is beating the T-collars into the front ski. I just backed the ski tower with a block of wood, then placed a 2x4 over the collar and hammered both sides home. Why CAMSO doesn't press these in for the customers is beyond me. Could it be part of how they keep the price for the unit down? Anyhow, as it is just a one-time install, once it is done, it is done. The parts all fit perfectly, they are all machined very well as they should be, it is 2017 and technology is fantastic nowadays.

What took me the most time in the teardown was getting the cotter pin out of the rear brake clevis-ha!

The rear install was also pretty easy. I had bought a used motorcycle stand that uses a foot jack to get the bike up but as it was so big and heavy, I never used it in between rides in the garage like I thought I would. It came in super handy this weekend. It was just a matter of getting the tunnel into place and then getting the holes in the tunnel and the bike's swingarm holes lined up and just shoving the greased up bolt home.

Provided one has an open end 25mm wrench for the tie-rod as it is needed to get the attack angle correct, I had thankfully had the attack angle correct first try. I will have to get the bike out on the snow and then re-check the adjustment once the snow flies.

Otherwise, I simply routed the brake line up and to the outside of the frame and up the back of the radiator. I had tried to go up the frame's spine under the fuel tank but there was no space for the cable to fit underneat and since the riding season is only about 3 to 3 1/2 months, having the cable easily routed so that it can be taken off easily come switchback is a good thing for me.

I have to finish cleaning my airbox.

I have to order a PST engine jacket, air filter skin(s), and some heated grips.

I wonder, is there an alternative to the brake lever for this Hayes master cylinder. The lever is about the only letdown, it is huge-maybe for gloved hands but my 2004 SkiDoo Rev has a 2-finger lever and it has been working great. The lever also moves around a lot and is not adjustable. If there nothing out there yet, (first world problem alert) I'll happily live with it as I do know that the brake is of very little use on the snow, especially O/T.

It is amazing that the strut rod takes all the force of the terrain, other than the torsion rods and the small shock but I also realize that powder riding is nowhere near as demanding as trail riding.

Now I'm totally excited for winter.

P1130162.jpg P1130163.jpg P1130164.jpg P1130165.jpg P1130168.jpg P1130169.jpg P1130170.jpg P1130171.jpg

Premium Features