• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Other options to BCA link Radio? (Upgrading to HAM/VHF)

Hey Guys,

Looking for another option to a BCA link radio. I am looking for a radio that will operate on the same channels as the BCA radio does, without having to pay for the name. I have found a few different radios which are about half the price. I am working on a budget. Are any two way radios going to be able to operate on the same channel/frequency?

I have attached a link to the ones I am thinking about.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/products/motorola/motorola-t600.aspx

Thanks guys,

Ryan

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
In our group's experience they all work together on the same channel. We used handhelds for years before the BCA link was around. I have some handheld Motorola radios I use myself. They are just way less convenient than grabbing the mic on your backpack strap and talking. My Motorola set also loose their display when they get cold so I have to keep them in a jacket pocket where they will get some warmth.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
A mic clipped to your backpack is definitely the way to go. We use them all the time.

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but I've got seven Retevis R888s radios, with mics. I pass them out to my riding group every morning before we head out. They work awesome, but likely don't transmit on the same frequency as the BCA radios. However, I think I have about $150 into all 7 of them. I think they're a bit more expensive now, but they're still quite inexpensive. Baofeng makes a radio (BF-888s) that looks almost exactly the same, but they have a much cheaper build. It's worth it to spend a few extra dollars for the Retevis.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I've been using a $35 Baofeng UV5R+ for like 5 years now.

Haven't had a single issue with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Warr...5297&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=baofeng+UV5r&psc=1

On the REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY deep days the remote mic will get iced up, but so will any other brand.

I have that same Baofeng, how do you use it without the long antenna getting in the way? It doesn't seem very portable so I haven't taken it riding yet. I got it to learn Ham and naturally...never did.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I have that same Baofeng, how do you use it without the long antenna getting in the way? It doesn't seem very portable so I haven't taken it riding yet. I got it to learn Ham and naturally...never did.

You can buy 'shorty' antennas so they are more compact, but I like having the high gain antenna if I need it. I actually run mine with the larger 3800 mAH battery and the full antenna with the remote mic. So I put the full radio in my backpack and run the cable through a port in the pack so the mic is right on my front lapel so to speak ...

I have a BCA Float 8 that it clips right into one of the pockets perfectly fine with .... usually put my spare gloves around it to pad it a bit.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I use the same BCA pack. I'm slowly learning the ham side but from what I understand, the FRS/GMRS actually requires a license. I'm guessing many are just using it anyway.

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
To my knowledge, the FRS channels do not require a license but the GMRS channels do.

http://urgentcomm.com/governance/do-i-really-need-license

I was just reading a proposal somewhere about the FCC changing the classification of GMRS/FRS based on transmit wattage.

"The FCC said it no longer will certify FRS devices that incorporate GMRS capabilities or capabilities of other services. Existing GMRS/FRS combination radios that operate at power levels of less than 2 W ERP will be reclassified as FRS devices; existing GMRS/FRS radios that operate above that power level will be reclassified as GMRS devices, requiring an individual license. Radios that can transmit on GMRS repeater input channels will continue to be licensed individually and not by rule."

Not being an expert, if I remember right BCA's (and I'm sure others, but I only use BCA's) operate on .5 and 1 watt capabilities on the FRS/GMRS channels, so they would not require licenses if they are reclassified.

Source: http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-person...will-affect-gmrs-frs-cb-other-part-95-devices

Source: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...n/family-radio-service-frs#block-menu-block-4 (See the paragraphs at the bottom)

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
^^Yep, thanks for that info. That's why I asked about the Baofeng. I did go to BCA's website and looked at the manual for their radio. It even states in there that you need a license to operate the radio. I think that's one of the reasons the FCC is looking to reclassify the FRS channel radios. However, the problem with the Baofeng is that it is too powerful to be used as a FRS radio unless you turn the power down. I think 95% of people just use radios illegally. Just a conversation, I'm not the radio police. I'm digging the Baofeng the more I play with it. I think I might do the Ham license. Looks like even I could pass that test!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
^^Yep, thanks for that info. That's why I asked about the Baofeng. I did go to BCA's website and looked at the manual for their radio. It even states in there that you need a license to operate the radio. I think that's one of the reasons the FCC is looking to reclassify the FRS channel radios. However, the problem with the Baofeng is that it is too powerful to be used as a FRS radio unless you turn the power down. I think 95% of people just use radios illegally. Just a conversation, I'm not the radio police. I'm digging the Baofeng the more I play with it. I think I might do the Ham license. Looks like even I could pass that test!

In our Sledding community, I don't know any other Licensed HAMs that are using that radio. all of the users are Illegal.

BUT...
So long as the only time your using it is in the backcountry, chances are very good nothing will ever come of it.

Most of us HAMs only get excited about illegal use of the bands when the perp is ABUSING the frequency and causing us grief.

VHF, for the most part, is only LINE OF SITE, so there is little chance of you interfering with anything in the mountains.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Another Baofeng user here. I have the Btech mic. If the snow is good, it ices up quick. Need to add a frogskinz cover like is available for the BCA's. Other than that, I like it. Just took a bit to figure out the actual frequencies of the BCA radio channels & CTCSS so they'd work together.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
When this hits the market, it could be fabulous for us...

Consider this one instead.

http://qrznow.com/baofeng-uv9r-plus-...nd-fm-vhf-uhf/

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PCS...839869039.html

Baofeng-Waterproof-Walkie-Talkie-Dual-Band-FM-Transceiver-10KM-VHF-UHF-Baofeng-CB-Radio-Baofeng-UV9R.jpg

Baofeng UV9R Plus

Product parameters
Frequency Range: VHF 136-174,UHF 400-520MHz
Theoretical communication distance: 10 km
Power: 15WATTS
Battery: Polymer lithium battery
Battery: 8000 mAh
Weight: 0.5kg
Size: 12*6*4cm

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Other options to BCA link Radio?

When this hits the market, it could be fabulous for us...

Consider this one instead.

http://qrznow.com/baofeng-uv9r-plus-...nd-fm-vhf-uhf/

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PCS...839869039.html

Baofeng-Waterproof-Walkie-Talkie-Dual-Band-FM-Transceiver-10KM-VHF-UHF-Baofeng-CB-Radio-Baofeng-UV9R.jpg

Baofeng UV9R Plus

Product parameters
Frequency Range: VHF 136-174,UHF 400-520MHz
Theoretical communication distance: 10 km
Power: 15WATTS
Battery: Polymer lithium battery
Battery: 8000 mAh
Weight: 0.5kg
Size: 12*6*4cm

Thats a fake add, it doesnt make that power, I inquired about this radio with the dealer I bought my other Baofeng from, cause I wanted this, and there is no radio like that from Baofeng. They do make a 8w uv-9r

As far as the ham conversion goes, I had one In my truck when I was trucking, and I have a Baofeng for sledding and have the forestry road channels also programmed in it. Just use it responsively and turn the power down.
My biggest complaint with the baofeng is its recieves so much useless chatter that I have to turn up the squelch, I dont need to hear guys 20-30 km away, and thats with me using the BCA channels thats programmed in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I was just reading a proposal somewhere about the FCC changing the classification of GMRS/FRS based on transmit wattage.

"The FCC said it no longer will certify FRS devices that incorporate GMRS capabilities or capabilities of other services. Existing GMRS/FRS combination radios that operate at power levels of less than 2 W ERP will be reclassified as FRS devices; existing GMRS/FRS radios that operate above that power level will be reclassified as GMRS devices, requiring an individual license. Radios that can transmit on GMRS repeater input channels will continue to be licensed individually and not by rule."

Not being an expert, if I remember right BCA's (and I'm sure others, but I only use BCA's) operate on .5 and 1 watt capabilities on the FRS/GMRS channels, so they would not require licenses if they are reclassified.

Source: http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-person...will-affect-gmrs-frs-cb-other-part-95-devices

Source: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...n/family-radio-service-frs#block-menu-block-4 (See the paragraphs at the bottom)

You can change the transmit wattage on the UV-5R series radios to either 1 watt or 4 watts .... In the back country in the mountains, you gain more from having a high gain antenna than transmission wattage due to the terrain. You save on battery life as wel.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
In our Sledding community, I don't know any other Licensed HAMs that are using that radio. all of the users are Illegal.

BUT...
So long as the only time your using it is in the backcountry, chances are very good nothing will ever come of it.

Most of us HAMs only get excited about illegal use of the bands when the perp is ABUSING the frequency and causing us grief.

VHF, for the most part, is only LINE OF SITE, so there is little chance of you interfering with anything in the mountains.

live-free-or-die1.jpeg

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com

I run a 17 inch high gain antenna and mount the radio directly on the back of my avi pack. No problems at all! On my wife's Avi pack, the radio is mounted on a side pocket that is zipped up enough to keep radio in but allow antenna to stick out the side. Works just fine.

This is an old review of mine on a polaris ace forum. I no longer recommend the cheap helmet systems on ebay. http://www.aceforums.net/forum/20-a...-2-way-radio-helmet-communication-system.html

I have about a dozen Baofeng radios and only one was a dud (broken PTT switch but worked fine with a remote PTT and helmet mounted microphone)

I just picked up another Baofeng for #16.99 shipped directly from China. I keep a radio in each of my vehicles-I'm a Ham. I keep 4 in my 5th wheel camper for personal use when hiking or atv'ing and one with backup for each sled and atv.

For compact use, you can't beat a UV5r. The extra capacity battery doubles it size but lasts a long time. For compromise on size and decent battery capacity with stock battery a UV82 is a good option.

Stock antenna with baofeng are ok but not great. Nagoya (not fake ones) replacement antennas really make a difference.

Last edited:
Premium Features