• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tie down in an enclosed trailer

how do you secure your sleds in an enclosed trailer?

• nothing

Votes: 219 46.6%
  • front only

Votes: 70 14.9%
  • front and rear

Votes: 181 38.5%

• Total voters

jdw1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Minnesota
I secure the sleds in my trailer every time. Each sled get 4 (yes 4) straps, one on each corner, I would like to think if i ended up losing control and going in the ditch or having a wreck that the sleds would be secure enough not to poke a hole in my trailer, ether from a ski or the whole sled coming through the trailer, insurance or no insurance.

I am sure if anyone that doesn't secure there sleds in there trailer was in an accident were someone else's sled was ejected from a trailer (enclosed or open) because it wasn't secure enough during an accident and ended up on the roadway and they hit the ejected sled or caused them to wreck, the first thing they would say is,
"Why in the He!! wasn't that thing tied down better"

Until someone gets hurt or damage is done to there equipment, then is just fine to simply close the doors!

JMO

12V92 LOGGER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 27, 2012
Colorado Rockies
If its just a quick trip to the mountain I secure up front. If the road trip is more than about an hour I will tie front and rear, probably should get used to doing a better job of tying them down every trip. just lazy I guess:face-icon-small-win

R

rmk685

Dec 4, 2007
Two years ago seeing the aftermath of a friends pickup/trailer hitting black ice on I-80 and totaling the trailer and pickup, I tie my sleds down. Have a triton with full length slide rails in the floor so ski tie downs are quick and simple insurance.

Even though I carry full coverage on sleds and trailer, I would just assume to keep my premiums as low as possible and not have to file a claim.

R
Sep 9, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I never use to tie down. After an major slide of the road and a rolled pickup and trailer I forgot about the sleds. When it got uprighted I opened the trailer door. It looked like a coffee can that was shook up with rocks in it. I had to replace 2 tunnels, 2 hoods and handle bars, controls, the list goes on and on. I was STUPID not to tie down. Now I have Superclamps and if your riding with me you tie your sled down.:yo:

superclamp

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2008
I never use to tie down. After an major slide of the road and a rolled pickup and trailer I forgot about the sleds. When it got uprighted I opened the trailer door. It looked like a coffee can that was shook up with rocks in it. I had to replace 2 tunnels, 2 hoods and handle bars, controls, the list goes on and on. I was STUPID not to tie down. Now I have Superclamps and if your riding with me you tie your sled down.:yo:

You are doing the right thing by tieing you sleds down.

superclamp

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2008
U really think a superclamp is going to hold a sled if the trailer rolls over?

Goodluck.

hopefully you will never know, when I was in an accident, my front and rear Superclamps saved my sled from any damages, that is coming from the horses mouth. I just don't see why it is so hard for some people to just take a couple of minutes to secure their investment, just in case, only takes a couple of minutes. Its kinda like putting a helmet on when you go motorcross riding, or a life jacket on when you go fishing, or sledding without a helmet. It also lessons the inconviences with your insurance company if you have to do a claim, first thing they will ask is,(did you have your sleds tied down?)

C

Clumax

Oct 10, 2011
Manitoba, Canada
Mr superclamp.
I still think your going about this the wrong way. Too many vendors on here I feel hurt them selves from getting too opinionated.
I think you should have opened with something like...
Hey guys aren't those straps annoying? Always freezing getting tangled,time consuming n what not.
We have lots of products to secure your favorite toys quickly and easyly! We're not just for the sled decks and open trailers. Lots of systems/configurations to work in an enclosed trailers. Etc etc
Enter contact info... Blah blah.
My opinion
Neat products I just bought a front clamp, have yet to use it.
Oh ya and know what would be cool?? A sled secured by your product(s) and then tip it over and show it hangin upside down

Last edited:

rmkfire

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Oconomowoc, WI
pictures of not tieing things down

I have a 38' gooseneck that I use and I haven't tied anything down in this trailer except the toolbox and the LP tank. I set the keys for the toolbox on top of the toolbox and they don't move in 1400 miles traveling from Wisconsin to Montana. In 2010 when I was coming up from West Yellowstone I had to swerve on ice for some prick turning left from the right lane in Big Sky and put my rig into a snow bank, the other option was to take out the vehicle in front of me with three kids in it or put it in the river so I initially was on the horn flashing my headlights to try to pass him in the center turn lane when he decided to turn left from that right lane in front of me so I cut further to the left to avoid a vehicle collision. The truck stopped against the snowbank but the trailer kept going due to the weight of it and it broke the coupler on the trailer and took us for a ride. Here are some pictures of the aftermath. I came out ok, the insurance company took care of us and thank God the truck jelled that morning and my wife and son were taken to the airport by some friends. The end result was a new truck, $7,000 damage to the trailer and minor scratches to the sleds. To be perfectly honest I still don't tie the sleds down. In the one picture there is normally not that much room in the back of the trailer the snowmobile ski's usually are within a couple inches of the back door. The cabinets in the front of the trailer were smashed and the stroller broke through the inside wall but that was it for the interior.

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 469
  • image 1.jpeg
    image 1.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 464
  • image 2.jpeg
    image 2.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 459
  • image 4.jpeg
    image 4.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 446
F

freeflorider

Mar 29, 2010
In the koots...bc
Belt um down

I'm so surprised to see that 50% of the votes and people running around with loose sleds in there trailer. It's nothing to have 60k worth of sleds in the back of a four place now a days and I know I feel better being tied down just in case some jacka** pulls out in front of me.
Superclamp makes some nice and quick tools to speed the process up, it's penny's to the investment your towing.

superclamp

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2008
Mr superclamp.
I still think your going about this the wrong way. Too many vendors on here I feel hurt them selves from getting too opinionated.
I think you should have opened with something like...
Hey guys aren't those straps annoying? Always freezing getting tangled,time consuming n what not.
We have lots of products to secure your favorite toys quickly and easyly! We're not just for the sled decks and open trailers. Lots of systems/configurations to work in an enclosed trailers. Etc etc
Enter contact info... Blah blah.
My opinion
Neat products I just bought a front clamp, have yet to use it.
Oh ya and know what would be cool?? A sled secured by your product(s) and then tip it over and show it hangin upside down

thanks for the advise, We are only trying to help.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I anticipate a bashing on this, but I had a sled come off an open 2 place trailer with superclamps over the skis. This was the older metal version so I can't say about the new polymer units.

We hit some black ice and the trailer whipped enough to kick my sled off the side and it ended up barrel rolling down the highway. The other sled came off also having used the same type clamp. His torpedo rolled down the highway. When we finally landed, the trailer ended up upside down behind us since the ditch flipped the now empty trailer. Both Superclamps were still in their locked position.

I am less confident that a set of clamps would hold a sled inverted in an enclosed trailer in the case of an accident regardless who's name is stamped on the side of them. I'm not faulting the clamp, but possibly the whole system combined.

superclamp

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2008
I anticipate a bashing on this, but I had a sled come off an open 2 place trailer with superclamps over the skis. This was the older metal version so I can't say about the new polymer units.

We hit some black ice and the trailer whipped enough to kick my sled off the side and it ended up barrel rolling down the highway. The other sled came off also having used the same type clamp. His torpedo rolled down the highway. When we finally landed, the trailer ended up upside down behind us since the ditch flipped the now empty trailer. Both Superclamps were still in their locked position.

I am less confident that a set of clamps would hold a sled inverted in an enclosed trailer in the case of an accident regardless who's name is stamped on the side of them. I'm not faulting the clamp, but possibly the whole system combined.

That is why the DOT Law states you have to have the Front and Rear tied down on your sled, (again I did not make the DOT law) You did not have the rear tied as you stated above, there for your load was not secured properly, that is why the DOT law requires both ends to be tied down. Question, sound funny to me that the clamps were still in place with your trailer upside down on them, yet both skis on both sled happened to let go. I guess strange thing happen. I dont care what you use to tie your sleds down with , but Please tie the front and backs down. PS, maybe your adjustment on your clamp was not set right, tighten it up a bit.

Last edited:
F

freeflorider

Mar 29, 2010
In the koots...bc
Tumbling sleds

Superclamp I couldn't imagine how far or fast they would of torpedoed down the road without that little resistance of the clamp on the front. I'm trying to get around how the clamp stayed with the trailer and the skis where still with the sled? Mmmm it's all kinda funny providing no one was hurt...well everyone but the pocketbook ouch.

superclamp

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2008
Superclamp I couldn't imagine how far or fast they would of torpedoed down the road without that little resistance of the clamp on the front. I'm trying to get around how the clamp stayed with the trailer and the skis where still with the sled? Mmmm it's all kinda funny providing no one was hurt...well everyone but the pocketbook ouch.

ya, no kinding, amazing, thank god no one got hurt. First time in the history since Superclamp has came out (15 year ago), a unique accident like this taken place and the clamps still remained on the trailer up side down with no skis under them, all i can say is maybe try tieing the backs down also it only take a few seconds longer,, and adjust the front Superclamp more tight.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska

How in the world did the sleds fly off forward and the clamp was still locked down? Were the clamps installed behind the spindles? This is also another example of why you need to secure both the front and rear of a sled (which is required for all loads over 10', and most all of the current mountain sleds are) to keep them from kicking off the side.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
All we could figure was that the deck of the trailer flexed and let loose of the Superclamp tie down method.

With this flex, which I can also feel in the floor of my now enclosed trailer is why I question whether these (or any other) tie down bars would still stay in place. And no, the Superclamps were not behind the spindles and yes they were as tight as possible without a cheater pipe to get the lever to cam over.

By the way, both ratchet straps on the rear (one on each sled) were broken.

Premium Features