• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hot Hot Clutches on 2011 m8

B
Oct 29, 2011
Hey guys, I just bought a 2011 m8 Pro and on moderate to easy rides with no hard pulls the clutches are smoking hot, can't hold my hand on either clutch.I have had it to the dealer twice and they tell me belt deflection and alignment is spot on. Sled is all stock 36 helix 70 grams weight in primary 3000-6000 stock setup. riding in Alaska around 1500- 2000 feet elevation. Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanx

B
Oct 29, 2011
Yeah, I thought of that . I had to do that on my XP but, feel I'ts a bandaid fix . Wouldn't think clutches should run that hot on a new sled with only 150 miles and no hard climbs. Could it be the calibration of the primary since I was only riding at 1500 ft. 36 helix 70 grams weight. Thanx

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Check every motormount, every one on my pto sideplate was bad. My secondary was also .060 out of alignment. Also check track tension. Some people put to tight with hopes of being right when stretched. Make sure there is atleast a little droop with rear of sled elevated. To tight is like running with the brakes on. Finally I would check your diamond drive, you could check the oil at home for filings or next time out when clutches are as hot as you say they get, get secondary out of the way and see if dd us just as hot. Could be something wrong in there also

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Side vents

Side vents and shock tower vents will also help but they should not get that hot that fast. I forget to say check that weights and rollers are free in primary and that rollers are free in secondary and not sticking on helix

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
You shoul be able to put your hand on your clutches and not fry your hand. Any hotter you better like buying belts

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Im also in Alaska (Southcentral) and run a 2011 M8. Mine has a straight 40 Helix and 71.5 gram weights in the primary, yellow/white primary spring, stock orange secondary. It rips. The hot clutches are normal to a certain extent. Ive never, ever, ever seen any sled that after riding in deep pow you can just put your hands on the clutches for more than a second or two. Hot clutches are normal if you ride hard, regardless of internet opinion. I installed a shock tower vent on the clutch side, side panel vents and a gauge lifter/vent. I can run my sled to the bar all day in chest deep pow, no issues. Im on my original belt and I have 250ish miles so far.

Last edited:
S
Nov 30, 2007
cda, idaho
another option is to vent your actual clutch cover...i did that with mine and it seems to help..

not trying to be a jerk, but i have never been able to touch my clutchs after riding any sled, they are too hot...

J
Nov 13, 2009
Alaska
I was the guy on the Black M8 that you pulled up to and talked to. When you pulled away I could really hear your M whining(loud high pitched sound,best I can do to describe it I think) very loud. I told your buddy, not sure he told you but even when you were a hundred or so yards out I could still hear it whine, just never heard an M8 with that loud of whine before.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Clutch temp

My sled started out same way. But if you take the time to check and align everything along with lots of venting you should be able to touch them and still have skin on your fingers when your done. Im assuming that he is talking that they are abnormally hot, which is why he's asking for help. But I agree that the m series clutches do run hotter than most sleds

B
Oct 29, 2011
I remember you Jacer, I'ts a small world sometimes. Yeah my patner relayed your message. I think the noise and clutch heat are related. I realize clutches get hot. especially when pulling some long hard climbs but, my clutches are way too hot considering I'm not even working them.

D
Oct 20, 2008
Outside of the above recommendations of proper alignment, belt deflection, venting, etc. one more item that helps is to install a M7 Torque Stop on the mag side. This simply helps take a little stress off the motor mounts and helps keep the motor from flexing. Just one small thing that helps. Look on a 2005 M7 parts diagram and you will find the torque stopper, it costs like $25, unbolt the oil reservior and move out of the way and there is a spot to attach the stopper directly to the bulkhead. Good luck.

S
Feb 21, 2009
hot

You shoul be able to put your hand on your clutches and not fry your hand. Any hotter you better like buying belts

Always read alot about clutches and being able to touch them. Mine have always been way to hot to touch and have never blown a belt in 7000 miles so don't believe everything you read. Look at how the clutch works and only makes sence it gets hot as hell!!

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Heat

That's my point in all of my posts. There is a difference between being hot and excessively hot. Were trying to help somebody out, not just my clutches could fry an egg deal with it. If you want to have super hot clutches have hot clutches. But evidently he would like to try to cool his and some of us have figured out how to help.

B
Oct 29, 2011
The guys I ride with all run 800s so I can compare my clutch heat with their clutch heat and mine is twice as hot , same riding conditions. Lots of great solutions and help on this thread so I'm sure I can fix this problem with the ideas provided. I will say extream clutch heat is not good on belts or clutch componets. JMO Thanks again for all the help.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
The guys I ride with all run 800s so I can compare my clutch heat with their clutch heat and mine is twice as hot , same riding conditions. Lots of great solutions and help on this thread so I'm sure I can fix this problem with the ideas provided. I will say extream clutch heat is not good on belts or clutch componets. JMO Thanks again for all the help.

well then make sure your weights/springs/deflection/track tension etc etc.is the same as the same 800s you run with that are running cooler..their must be something that is different...i am of course assuming the same brand 800 ...your right..extreme heat will fatique the aluminum...i have the side vents and a mesh hood..i can cool a can of beer on my clutches..

Last edited:

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Cool clutches and hot clutches.
When was the last time you tried to climb over a ridge and got stuck 20-40 feet from the top? You took 20 minutes digging out and tried it again only to make it. The only difference was that your clutches cooled. Venting is cool.

Premium Features