• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowy Range/Wyoming Questions

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
I am headed out to Centenial for few days on the 4 wheelers. I want to see what I have been riding over.
Ofcourse there is little to no wildlife around in the winter, but I am certain that there will be some there next week. My question is what does WY have for firearm laws? Also would you be packing something for self defense? Taking the wife along so I would just need to push her in front of the animal to slow it down for my escape. :face-icon-small-win
If any of you have been in the Snowies during the summer and have some good intel please share it.:face-icon-small-coo

WyoRMK

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
Yes there are laws, to what extent I am not sure. I camp in the Snowys all the time and have never seen anything where I felt I needed my pistol. Yes I do keep it in the camper, but unlike the Wind Rivers I never carry it with me. ( no griz or wolves). Wyoming residents are allowed to conceal carry. But that does not apply to non residents, from my understanding. I am sure ther are others that know more than I, so hope they chime in for you.

S
Dec 18, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
There are a ton of places that you will not be able to see that you ride in the winter. No roads unless you backpack If you go by Lake Marie and Libby Flats close your eyes. You will not believe how many rocks are there in the summer.

You should not be worried that you need to carry here. Cats are hardly ever seen, bears are very shy and other than that you are pretty safe. Although you never know how things will react but few and far between on the Range.

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
I'm up there over the mountain two to three times a week. I usually don't see a whole lot up there besides the occasional deer or two, but I'm not sight seeing so I usually don't pay a whole lot of attention to anything not close to the road.

There are a couple of pretty darn big bull moose that hang out around the Sugar Loaf area, and as already mentioned you won't really be able to go to many riding areas on the backside unless you go lower or if you go across the highway on the the Libby Flats (East) side.

We're headed up tomorrow on four wheelers to go explore. I'll let you know how it goes and if we see anything.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
We were up there last weekend on the ATVs west of Rob Roy. We didn't see any moose or elk this trip, but did see some deer and bighorn sheep (see pics).

Bears are around, I've never seen one, just the skat.

I saw one mountain lion 10 years ago this fall. We were on our way back down the mountain from working on the cabin and one crossed the road in front of us. This was right near the "Y" 3 miles up the trail from Albany.

The pics of the elk and moose are from the game camera - taken last month.

zzzIMG_3528.JPG zzzPICT0142.JPG zzzPICT0208.JPG zzzPICT0231.JPG

Last edited:

cat rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairmont, MN
I saw two huge bull moose on 130 about a mile east of the forest road that goes to Mountain Meadows about two weeks ago.

IMG_1928.jpg

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
I really want to get out to Sand Lake. It looks like there is a road/trail to get there. Can you run 4wheelers on the forest roads or is there alot of car/truck traffic? Also is there a place to park the truck & trailer to head out?

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I really want to get out to Sand Lake. It looks like there is a road/trail to get there. Can you run 4wheelers on the forest roads or is there alot of car/truck traffic? Also is there a place to park the truck & trailer to head out?

The FS roads are great for ATVs - they get dusty if it hasn't rained recently though. Parking shouldn't be an issue, find a good spot to pull off and go from there.

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
Do you have a ccc in MN?they teach about Reciprocity in class.....

Guide to Right-to-Carry
Reciprocity and
Recognition

The right to self-defense neither begins nor ends at a state border.
• A law-abiding citizen does not suffer a character change by crossing a state line.
• An “unalienable right” is not determined by geographical boundaries.
• A patchwork of state laws regarding the carrying of firearms can make criminals out
of honest folks, especially those who frequently must travel the states to earn a living.
• Using data for all 3,054 U.S. counties from 1977 to 1994, University of Chicago Prof.
John Lott finds that for each additional year a concealed handgun law is in effect the
murder rate declines by 3%, robberies by over 2%, and the rape rate by 2%.

S
Dec 18, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming

Turn up Sand Lake road which is just down from the ski resort. After you take the turn head up about a mile or so and there is a road to the right. It is a dead end many miles down but right there at the Y is plenty of parking and then head up to sand lake from there.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Ditto the Sand Lake parking. When up there about 4 years ago that road was pretty washboard and ATV would be the way to go.

Also, on the backside, there was only one official trail that we could see and the other trails were marked as closed for the most part. Very rocky trail from 130 north to the warming hut area and even rockier north of that.

Down by Albany, lots more trails and wildlife but not much for cool scenery but we could have missed a lot because I've only done it a few times. Seems like a lot of the trails are lined by trees.

Premium Features