• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'09 Dragon 800 Silber Turbo install

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Here is another build thread for a turbo install (Silber Turbo's). This is the full kit with intercooler.

Sled:
2009 Dragon 800
New crank, pistons, cylinders, and cylinder head - 0 miles on rebuild
Purchased sled a couple weeks ago with the intention of adding boost.
Shocks were rebuilt/revalved by Fastrax.
Adding the full XXX Mod Rods vent kit - white hood vents.

Turbo kit:
Silber Turbo kit with intercooler.

Sled as I brought it home:
IMG_3765.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

Removed all the shocks and sent them to Fastrax for revalve/rebuild. They should be arriving this week. They turned them around really quick and answered a lot of the questions I had regarding the suspension setup.
IMG_3789.jpg

Start of the project - removed hood for easier installation of turbo kit.
Silber_Turbo_Install_01.jpg

Removing a couple washers from the stock fuel regulator
IMG_3836.jpg

Fuel Pressure Regulator mounted
IMG_3838.jpg

Oil tank mounting plate
IMG_3844.jpg

I added a layer of heat insulation (removed from mag side belly pan) for the oil cooler that gets mounted under the stock exhaust exit.
IMG_3846.jpg

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Oil tank in place
IMG_3848.jpg

Gt2860 mounted in place
IMG_3850.jpg

Wastegate linkage clearance with chaincase
IMG_3854.jpg

Measured, remeasured, and then measured again for tunnel dump. If I would've used the supplied template, it would've saved me some time but I wanted to be 100% sure the tunnel only gets cut once.
IMG_3859.jpg

Removed a couple of the rivets to get a better angle with the 2.75" hole saw
IMG_3861.jpg

Daylight
IMG_3862.jpg

Down pipe in place
IMG_3865.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Cleaned up the exhaust end a little bit
IMG_3869.jpg

Pipe mocked up and ready to be welded
IMG_3872.jpg

Modified the recoil rope guide. Moved it 1.75" towards the gas tank to avoid rubbing on the charge tube.
IMG_3875.jpg

Clearance with charge tube mocked up
IMG_3885.jpg

IMG_3887.jpg

Tapped the throttle bodies for the BOV vacuum reference. I deviated from the instructions on this as I wanted direct access to the throat of the TB. If it doesn't work well, I will plug them and use the suggested spot for vacuum reference. I did manage to snug them up by hand with the help of blue loctite.
IMG_3876.jpg

Fittings protrude a little bit but I don't think it will hinder performance too much.
IMG_3878.jpg

Turbo blanket that I plan on using but I just need to figure out how to mount it with the WG linkage
IMG_3880.jpg

As it sits right now
IMG_3889.jpg

I will continue working on it Wednesday. I have a quite a bit of stuff to do still:
Paint turbo exhaust housing
Paint down pipe
Install intercooler and throttle bodies
Install gauges
Do some wire, fuel, and coolant line management
Make a small panel for the mag side footwell so my boot doesn't get burned by exhaust. This should be fairly easy since I have the stirrup in one piece still.
Install hood vents.

Overall impression of the Silber Turbo kit exceeds my expectations. Everything is fabricated nicely and well thought out. Thanks Justin for the good service.

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
Nice build thread!:thumb:

Just bought a sled with Justins turbo setup on it and the kit looks very good!
Cant wait to get it on the snow now:D

Is that a muffler welded into the tunnel exhaust dump?

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Nice build thread!:thumb:

Just bought a sled with Justins turbo setup on it and the kit looks very good!
Cant wait to get it on the snow now:D

Is that a muffler welded into the tunnel exhaust dump?

Thanks, yes it is a muffler. Looking inside, it looks like a glass pack style muffler with baffles. There's not much room for a good size muffler on this setup but it should be just fine.

I'm not sure how loud or quite it will be. Generally speaking, the straight through muffler will help but I don't expect it to be quiet. The tunnel dump setup will help a lot compared to my old TM6 with side dump exhaust. That sled was crazy loud and it had the nice Dyantech split straight through muffler as well.

What are the details of your sled? I'm always interested to look at other setups.

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
The sled is setup with the older silber kit without the new oil tank/oil cooler and intercooler.
It has the tunnel exhaust dump but no silencer, have only had the sled at idle and reved it to maybe 5000rpm since i got it and it is loud enough:tongue:

This sled used to be Justins and he has done a good job building it, but I have just toren it down to get the new update for the kit....and now I think ill add a tunnel dump with a muffler to the list:)

What elevation do you ride at, and what fuel do you plan on running?

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Looks very good! Getting excited to hopefully do one next year. Couple of questions about the chain case though. It looks like the down pipe to the tunnel dump blocks off any access to the chain case oil fill hole, how much stuff do you have to remove to access that? Can you simply unbolt the pipe at the turbo and it comes out? What about if you tear a chain? How big of a deal is it to remove the turbo, to access the chain case, once the turbo has been installed?

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Looks very good! Getting excited to hopefully do one next year. Couple of questions about the chain case though. It looks like the down pipe to the tunnel dump blocks off any access to the chain case oil fill hole, how much stuff do you have to remove to access that? Can you simply unbolt the pipe at the turbo and it comes out? What about if you tear a chain? How big of a deal is it to remove the turbo, to access the chain case, once the turbo has been installed?

Good questions. Unbolting the pipe (6 allen bolts) will give you access to the chaincase fill hole. It's very easy to take that off.

Removing the turbo is a breeze - unbolt the down pipe, unclamp the charge tube, unbolt the exhaust pipe, pull up on the turbo and set off to the side leaving the coolant lines and oil line intact. I will probably cut my lines a little shorter and make everything look nice. If I tear a chain up, I will take the time to pull the coolant lines and oil line to give me extra room. I don't like to rush those kind of projects.

Should be a fun winter.

M

meakin46

Oct 20, 2008
whats the point of an intercooler in that location? doesnt look like it would see much airflow

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
whats the point of an intercooler in that location? doesnt look like it would see much airflow
I said the same thing, but the boondocker one with a fan showed big charge temp drops even with the warm air/low flow you get back there..

in reality, motor bay air might only be 60-80* compared to your charge temps in the 150+ range... so its still gonna do something for you, especially if your well vented and have a fan.

as far as the sled, the thing looks awosme.. clean install, props to silber on a slick lookin kit.. should be a blast this winter.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
ALRIGHT look at you go! Way to B... both of you guys. NOW will you two mofo's PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come out and ride with us! (that isn't a question...it's a demand) I drove all the fricking ways to you're place to drink beer and be sick (34 hours) ...now come west young men and let's ride those babies in the land that they were designed for!

ALRIGHT we shall semi split the difference...AFTON WY presidents dayish or JACKSON HOLE FOR HILLCLIMB? come on man (s)

S

Super B

Dec 26, 2002
Monticello, MN
www.rooost.ca
ALRIGHT look at you go! Way to B... both of you guys. NOW will you two mofo's PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come out and ride with us! (that isn't a question...it's a demand) I drove all the fricking ways to you're place to drink beer and be sick (34 hours) ...now come west young men and let's ride those babies in the land that they were designed for!

ALRIGHT we shall semi split the difference...AFTON WY presidents dayish or JACKSON HOLE FOR HILLCLIMB? come on man (s)

LOL! Thanks Rob! You will see us in Afton around Preidents Day weekend! Our plan is to get into Afton On Weds. I hope our riding skills and liver are up to hanging with you guys!!! :face-icon-small-coo

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
WAMMO! OK that seals the deal. Barring death or money..I'm in. OK death..I'll beg, barrow, or steal the money. "oh I've got sledding money!" he he he

Wooo I see there is a very important demo ride needing to take place in Afton/Alpine in Feb! Dateline thurs budget meeting..."Ah ya marketing...I has ta go on a critical BID-NESS TRIP"

I wouldn't worry too much about your liver...the gang has matured. Most have even lost their professional party persons status and gone semi-pro and some have been demoted down to rank amature.

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
WAMMO! OK that seals the deal. Barring death or money..I'm in. OK death..I'll beg, barrow, or steal the money. "oh I've got sledding money!" he he he

Wooo I see there is a very important demo ride needing to take place in Afton/Alpine in Feb! Dateline thurs budget meeting..."Ah ya marketing...I has ta go on a critical BID-NESS TRIP"

I wouldn't worry too much about your liver...the gang has matured. Most have even lost their professional party persons status and gone semi-pro and some have been demoted down to rank amature.

Why am I picturing the movie "Old School" with Old Man Blue right now?

I can't wait for this trip, it should be a blast!

I will be updating this thread with pictures tonight or early tomorrow morning. I got the intercooler installed, turbo and down pipe painted, I'm getting ready to wrap the pipe end and down pipe.

Premium Features