• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 1m 900 wont idle down

S
Nov 26, 2007
Sanborn, IA
hey i need some help with my sled. its an 03 900 all stock with The Thing can. cold the sled idles fine but after riding it a while when i stop it just runs around 4000. i can make it idle down by flipping the choke but it still tries to climb back up to around 3000. the one thing is im at 0-2000 ft but the clutch is at 8-10000. could that be the problem?? any help is appreciated. SH

S
Dec 1, 2007
Norther Utah (Utard)
well you could just have the idle too high (turn the single Phollips/finger knurled screw on top between the carbs.

or

you may be too lean in your pilot circuit, (the pilots may be clogged) clean or change them.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Could be a cracked or leaky carb boot. It sounds lean. But flat slides have been known to do this when worn.

Mike

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Could be a cracked or leaky carb boot. It sounds lean. But flat slides have been known to do this when worn.

Mike

What he said ^^^^.

I was going to say crank seal, intake carb boot leak, leak somewhere between the carbs and the cylinder head.

With the sled running, lightly spray a bit of starting fluid around the intake boots and the PTO crank seal and see if the rpm's come up.

Thunder

S
Dec 1, 2007
Norther Utah (Utard)
i know its no the idle screw cause i mess with that constantly trying to get it right. you talking about the needle seats then??

no i'm talking about item #29 in the picture. they have a small through hole and 4 or 8 smaller side holes in the side. make sure they are clean.

0735-683.jpg

03 1m 900

My 900 does the same thing and now I know of two others starting to do the same thing! I read in another 4m to check the float levels they might be out of adjustment, anybody herd of this? I have been fighting this for 3 yrs. I have checked for air leaks with spray and visually when I rebuilt the top end and haven't found anything, even replaced the carb slides due to wear on the bottom edges, If I find anything else I'll post.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You probably have to change your pilot jets. They were calibrated for 6 to 9000'. I think they came with 50's. For a couple thousand feet you may have to go to 40's or even 35's. Their should be enough guys on here that ride at low elevation to know what size. I would think you could just get a set for a zr and it should be the right size.

Dec 28, 2009
1m hi idle

try turning in air screw check to see how many turns in to seat screw but be careful not to tighten to much as it will damage seat 3/4-2turns .if yours was say 13/4 turns then turn them in 1/4 turn this will ritchen your idle . #50 pilots ritch #40 leaner . sounds like you are already to lean . air screw 3/4 = ritch 2 turns = lean you are giving it more air & leaning out fuel mix this circuit is for idle. flipping choke on is giving it more fuel temporary fix .

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2009
1m clutch

as for your clutch check your rpms at full throttle you don't wont exessive rpm you may need your stock clutching back in at that elevation. your sled will also pull a lot harder

S
Nov 26, 2007
Sanborn, IA
thanks for all the info, I just checked the pilot circuits and they were clean. As for the main jets and the needle height i just set them back to 0-2000. OOPS ive been running 8-10000 thought i changed em last season but i didnt, no wonder it wasnt running right. the idle still messed up though. i wanted to work on it saturday but the high was -8 and I didnt want to chance breaking my cheap rope that came with the used recoil. this week ill get it back in the shop and change my weights and check the air screw. thanks SH

Premium Features