• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big bore or 174 in Alberta?

C

CARBONDEATH

Jan 31, 2008
I have a 09 SummitX 163". Love the sled but always looking for a little more:) I mostly hillclimb and ride powder so was thinking of putting on a 174 with timbersled rear skid or big bore. I was thinking of doing a 885 Split Second kit since i live very close to the guy who does them in northern Alberta. Or possibly a 860 kit from either mountain magic or specialty sleds in edmonton. Have never seen either run but was wondering which would make the biggest difference in the steep and deep from someone who has seen both run.I dont really like working on my sled on the side of the hill so was thinking maybe a longer track would be easier unless some of the big bores are fairly pull and go. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
For climbing in the deep you'll see the most gain from a 174-16-2.5. Stock XP with good clutching/gearing/174 will be mark for mark with the 154-163 2-stroke turbo's running under 10lbs.
I just did a 860 in my 163 and if it will come close to our stocker/174 I will be very happy.

C

CARBONDEATH

Jan 31, 2008
Yeah I was kind of leaning towards a 174 to. Heard they climb great when setup properly:D I know I will have to change my gearing and clutching.(But I could probably get some info on herefrom someone who is running one) I think my stock driver's will work with a camoplast 174 X 16 X 2.5 but does anyone know for sure? Thanks for the good info!!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The 174 is a 3" pitch, we did 7T Avids, 20/51 gears and our clutch setup, 800 miles on the same belt running nothing but deep. :beer;
Not as responsive and a little less acceleration than the 163 but similar track speed...it's a tractor!

B
Mar 21, 2008
My vote is for 174 and clutching. Although I have heard Ralphs motors rip it still takes awhile to get a big bore dialed in. Read through the posts. I bet a lot of people that are unhappy with there BB are because of the time it takes to get it clutched right. It took me half the winter when I had one.
I say clutching first. You still got motor warranty anyway.

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
Do the 174. Do NOT do a SS big bore. Biggest waste of $$$ out there. After an entire season of clutching (believe me...you name it, I tried it) I put the stock clutching back in and guess what? It pulled stock RPM and trackspeed. There's a Sled Head Racing big bore with a RKT head in there now.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The RKT and SHR 860's are the easiest BB's to set up. Do exactly what they recommend and it will be spot on first time. No chasing clutching and jetting all winter. I've had a BB from almost every guy out there, these are by far the most user friendly.
Havent run a 174, but that will be my next mod for this year. RKT 860 and 174x16x2.5. Can hardly wait for snow.
I did the big bore first. If you have the money for a 174 and timbersled rear skid, just nix the timbersled and get iceage doo 174 rails and the BB instead of the skid.

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Big Bore or 174

If you have the money for a BB and a 174, go with the 3" paddle instead of the BB.

D
Sep 4, 2009
Carbon death... if that is your real name... CJ lol. i know who you are. I rode with a 174 last year in wolverine. It was pretty impressive. It could do everything that 1200 turbo could do, the turbo wasn't running great but the 174 was definately impressive. The only thing i am a little learly about is how it will be for boondocking, jumping, and drops? Thats the only reason i don't do it to mine, i still want to be able to do those things with ease. But up to you i guess. Lets do revy this year. I talked to nate dogg about it. maybe early dec?

M
Dec 11, 2008
My vote would be based on whatever best suits your riding style. If you strictly hiiclimb then I would say some bolt on upgrades and the 174" track would probaly work well (the 174" + big bore would be awesome if you have the money for both).

If you like boon docking as well as hill climbing then I would do the 860 BB. I don't think that boon docking would be that much fun with a 174" track.

I think either way, the big bore or 174" track would be beneficial and would increase the sled riding fun factor by 10.

I am big boring my sled as we speak.

Good luck

We have APP 880R Big Bore kits they run 168hp with a single and 175hp with twins. Either the track or the 880BB would get you further up the mountain. I have rode with both and I have not seen a 174 stock pull on our 880R properly clutched in a 163 sled. Now do both and you would have something. I have a couple we will be doing this year so I will know by Dec.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
In that video did he say a "ZeeX" 700 made that other mark? I would hope a stock XP would perform as well as the sled in the video in that case.

174's climb. Do you like tractors is the question. Some do some don't. Not my cup of tea personally.

BB's are good too. I like mine. Lots of good guys around edmonton. Ralphy, Tom at Mot's in St. Albert is another guy.

Premium Features