• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what do I need to do to get my xp to have the same hp at 10,000ft as at 1,000ft

Thread Rating
1.00 star(s)
M
Dec 11, 2008
How much money do you plan on spending?

I would say a definite buy would be a higher compression head (I run a 14:1 at ~ 6000ft).

Second I would do some clutch work for that elevation.

But at the end of the day an 860 big bore would be a good choice. The nice thing about running an aftermarket head whether big bored or not (and I highly recomend RKT's head) is that the domes are interchangable and takes only about 30mins to do. So at low elevation you could run say a 13:1 dome and at higher elevation a 14:1 or 14.6:1. A set of vforce reeds and a dynoport pipe would also help out, particualry with throttle response.

Hope this helps.

H.P.

I did have Joeys clutch on it, set up for where I was at.
The sled did run really good but I could tell it lost some major power.
so im looking at a B.B. , or a turbo? If im on race fuel will I be close to the power in the flatlands. That's about the only thing good about wi the power the sleds make.
No, but i went the the U.P. of michigan and it had alot in common with the snowies not as tall but some real steep runs, deep to I had so much more power i'd like that out west.
I know it gets expensive, so I might not be able to do it tomorrow, but something to work towards.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I did have Joeys clutch on it, set up for where I was at.
The sled did run really good but I could tell it lost some major power.
so im looking at a B.B. , or a turbo? If im on race fuel will I be close to the power in the flatlands. That's about the only thing good about wi the power the sleds make.
No, but i went the the U.P. of michigan and it had alot in common with the snowies not as tall but some real steep runs, deep to I had so much more power i'd like that out west.
I know it gets expensive, so I might not be able to do it tomorrow, but something to work towards.

My 860 kit with 2 sets of domes (low/hi elevation) will get you very close to "stock" hp at elevation... and be a real hoot at home!!-BJ

O
Aug 17, 2009
Here's what kind of HP you might expect @ 10,000 feet

If your sled is a 150 HP @sealevel X .03% per 1000 feet in elevation
= 111.HP plus/minus.

If your BB sled is 170HP @sealevel X .03% per 1000 feet feet in elevation
= 127 HP plus/minus.

Also factor-in your clutch setup/gearing, @ 10K.

A race gas turbo will take your funfactor to a whole new level, Another inexpensive way to go in the mountains or flatlands is a "Shot Of Nos" right when you want more power push the "happy button" and you can be back at stock @ 10K

OT

Last edited:

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
two things -

1. the Gerbil comment was awesome. i'm still laughing.

2. Fordy and Gravy are just giving you chit. don't get your rainbow in knot over it. they love to poke at everyone (especially each other! :eek:).

now - to answer your question. Probably a turbo, no joke. A BB might get closer, but still, you're gonna come up short. its just the way it is with physics.

two things -

1. the Gerbil comment was awesome. i'm still laughing.

2. Fordy and Gravy are just giving you chit. don't get your rainbow in knot over it. they love to poke at everyone (especially each other! :eek:).

now - to answer your question. Probably a turbo, no joke. A BB might get closer, but still, you're gonna come up short. its just the way it is with physics.

yeah I see that by his response, not a real arse but likes to give people chit.
no hard feelings.
but it's like that here some people like to be chucks for no reason.
I thought a turbo, I by no means have the money to buy one buy I think i'll start saving, and see what the word is after a year of people owning them.
Thanks guys.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
HP at 10K

About 5 - 6 lbs of turbo boost, more if the drive train is inefficient.

my sled is just crazy strong and fast at home out west it runs with the other stock 800's but is just seems so lame, I know you loose H.P. with elevation.
so what mods are needed to get 150hp + up high
thanks Jeff

The reason you lose HP at elevation is the fact that there is less oxygen at elevation. The only way to get the same HP at sea level and at elevation is to have some way to adjust the oxygen levels. The best way to do this is probably with a turbo. You can also do it with NOS, but that only lasts for a short spurt. A turbo is available all the time.

Now, if you just want to get 150+ hp up high, you can go with a BB and/or other mods set to make power at elevation. The problem is you will have to make adjustments when you come back down or you run the very real risk of a lean burn down.

Premium Features