• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: Coming Attractions on SnoWest.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
By and by it hasn't really appeared to be much of a problem.

The rules are pretty relaxed, and for a site that is 97% male in a fairly Hard-Core sport, I have not had to ZAP a single thread yet for going over the line.

Some push it right to the limit, and there are a few that I would NOT want my children to see, but so far so good.

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
God, shoutboxes are ghey. Please tell me there will be an option in the control panel to toggle whether it displays or not......

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There will be.
And while you might think they are "Gay" as you say, they are wildly popular with members.

There is no doubt but that it will be very busy on this forum.

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
I realize they are widely popular, am a member on many forums that have them. Have only ever been on one or two that the shoutbox actually had any worthwhile content posted in it.

F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
Will we get a way to see our recent posts, on one page? I miss that. It would be nice to be able to customise our user control panel, and use it like a home page to navigate from.

Thanks for taking it on...
John

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
That's an excellent idea, .......Second, considering the plan for a pile of moderators, giving people a record of what happened to their thread could really help to also give some accountability if a mod abuses their post.

agreed. This should cut down on the complaints and help "educate" the abusers as to how to properly use a forum. right now we have a lot of random posts in the wrong place. My personal fav is "for sale" in the main forum.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
Christopher,

I might have missed it, but is the thread starter going to have more "rights" to control thier post, or only moderators? Like a lot of people I really hate it when some tool comes on and ruins my post and it would be nice if the "owner" of the thread had some additional rights without having to go toa moderator.

S
Oct 21, 2004
Puyallup, WA
How about making the users actual location visible for all members, especially in the swap meet and an E-bay type feedback system to rate users on past transactions in the swap.

Thanks for all your dedication!:D

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I realize they are widely popular, am a member on many forums that have them. Have only ever been on one or two that the shoutbox actually had any worthwhile content posted in it.
To make them WORK and do what they were intended for takes an ACTIVE TEAM OF MODERATORS who are ready and able to ZAP any garbage that gets posted!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Will we get a way to see our recent posts, on one page? I miss that. It would be nice to be able to customise our user control panel, and use it like a home page to navigate from.

Thanks for taking it on...
John
The entire menu system will change very soon now. You should have lots more options once that Mod is plugged in.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher,

I might have missed it, but is the thread starter going to have more "rights" to control their post, or only moderators? Like a lot of people I really hate it when some tool comes on and ruins my post and it would be nice if the "owner" of the thread had some additional rights without having to go to moderator.
Once I have a full team of assigned moderators, you should be able to report any "THREAD DRIFT" or "ABUSIVE" posts directly to your local moderator and he/she should be able to deal with it in short order.

If that doesn't work, when you click on the REPORT POST icon, every single moderator on SnoWest will be alerted to go and take a look at whats going on there.

As the system now stands there is really no way I am aware of to empower the thread creator with moderator powers over the thread.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
How about making the users actual location visible for all members, especially in the swap meet and an E-bay type feedback system to rate users on past transactions in the swap.

Thanks for all your dedication!:D
That is a User Option, that you have to choose to display.

AND.
For the most part, we don't have a CLUE where everyone is from.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
It would be nice when looking in Swap meet people would have to have their location in their profile. I hate looking at things posted for sale and find out later it's in New York...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
A "vastly improved" search engine is going to be great. I cant tell you how frustrated I get using the one in service now.
Can you ballpark a timeline on this one Christopher?

The search engine that comes with Vbulliten is THE NEMISIS of all online forums!

But there is much we can do to make it better.

And I do not yet have a timeline for ANY of the mods.

Everything is waiting on the results of this last week's load testing on the servers to determine just what resources I really have to work with.

CPU POWER is everything for most of these mods.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
That is a User Option, that you have to choose to display.

AND.
For the most part, we don't have a CLUE where everyone is from.

Can it be set so the state displays, then they can turn that off if they want?

I think we have a lot of members that don't understand how to do that stuff.

Premium Features