• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hauling 8’ Deck & Towing Hybrid Trailer

I
Dec 21, 2016
Hauling 8’ Deck & Towing Hybrid Trailer

Trying to figure out what sort of hitch extension I’d need to use to haul 154” sleds on an 8’ deck on my 2500HD (6.5’ box) while pulling a 12’ R&R Hybrid trailer behind us. I’ll be borrowing the deck, and the trailer is in another state along the route west, so a test fit is easier said than done.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Have you got a picture of the trailer? I had a Floe Protektor 2 place trailer and an 8ft deck on a 6.5" bed. I didn't have to do anything other than load up and drive. No hitch extension needed.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Here's what mine looked like with the shortbox. I've had a 163 up on the deck without any issues, but the tongue on the Floe is pretty long.

Hope this helps.

IMG_4587.JPG

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Can't comment on hit extension. But another thing if you are close but no cigar....put the tracks of the sleds on deck up on some milk crates (or similar) and strap them down good. Ghetto-fab but usually buys you some extra room in a pinch.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Trailer tongue height 14”.

Measure the distance A from hitch ball to bottom of sled deck, with hitch ball approx 14” above ground.

Have the guy with trailer do this - Using measurement A as vertical distance from coupler, then measure horizontally B back to trailer. This will show you approx where the contact point Would be if there isnt enough tongue length.

Now, measure the horizonal distance from the truck ball to the closed tailgate. Call this measurement C.

Now, B + C = approximate distance between the back of your truck to the conact point on trailer. Call this measurement D.

Now, as an example, lets assume your sleds from ski tip to end of track are 126” long. On a 6.5’ bed length, this means your sleds extend 48” past the closed tailgate, approx.

Now, Take measurement D and subtract 48, and this is approx how much distance you have btween sleds and trailer cover, but you must allow extra distance because when you turn a sled will get closer to trailer. The more the merrier. Also need to consider dips you may drive thru which will decrease the distance a little as well.

I bought an 18” hitch extension from Harbor Freight a few years ago, like $20, and an 18” flat 4 wire extender for $5. Dont forget to make sure your safety chains are long enough.

Last edited:
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Pulling a V nose triton trailer behind 8' deck on a short bed with 155 with a 12" extension. Back bumper of sled could still get into the trailer if I jack knifed the trailer.
You may be better off with the trailer style you're getting...
Are you getting it near a town with a parts store or farm store? Maybe limp the trailer there and make sure they have hitch extensions before you get the trailer?

Or just get an 18" or greater extension and be relatively assure it will belong enough.

I
Dec 21, 2016
Pulling a V nose triton trailer behind 8' deck on a short bed with 155 with a 12" extension. Back bumper of sled could still get into the trailer if I jack knifed the trailer.
You may be better off with the trailer style you're getting...
Are you getting it near a town with a parts store or farm store? Maybe limp the trailer there and make sure they have hitch extensions before you get the trailer?

Or just get an 18" or greater extension and be relatively assure it will belong enough.

Thanks for your input.

I’ve got a 15” 2.5” to 2” to borrow with the deck; and if I end up picking up my friend in MN with the hybrid, he mentioned getting an 18”. Plans may change a bit before now and early Feb., but I like to have my head wrapped around everything well in advance.

I
Dec 21, 2016
I’m probably putting too much thought into this, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be over my rated payload. My door sticker says 1,984lb; figure I’ll be close to or at that with a deck, sleds, another guy, and gear. Add two more guys and say 200-400lb of tongue weight on an extension and I could be 500-1,000lb over payload. I know the truck is capable, but I get concerned with the legality aspect. I did install 1,500lb SumoSprings the other day for the hell of it, but understand add-ons don’t change the actual rating.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You'll be overweight according to the door rating.

I went with a 1 ton SRW next time I bought a truck for this reason. I put many miles on my 3/4 ton overloaded and nobody ever said a word. But I never got into an accident either.

Only you can decide, but I'd run it.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Based on that door rating, every 3/4 ton crew on the road with a sled deck, 2 sleds, 2 dudes and some gear is overweight. I have no idea what the repercussions would be....I would have ran it without thinking twice TBH. But that doesn't mean it would be ok IF you had an accident.

I
Dec 21, 2016
Based on that door rating, every 3/4 ton crew on the road with a sled deck, 2 sleds, 2 dudes and some gear is overweight. I have no idea what the repercussions would be....I would have ran it without thinking twice TBH. But that doesn't mean it would be ok IF you had an accident.

I wouldn’t say every one would be, but I bet many are closer than they think. Most crew cab diesel standard bed 4x4’s I’ve seen range in the 2,000-2,500lb range. Options add more weight than most people would stop to consider, and a lot of guys are unaware there’s even a sticker in their door jamb- I know I never did.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
FWIW, if you wreck and someone gets hurt while you're over the sticker, even if they are in your truck, prepare to get sued, and your insurance co. may abandon you, depending on state law and your policy. Just the way the system works now. No big deal if you die and have no one, or assets, to protect. Yeah, this kind of stuff quietly happens every day...

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
Most people that have a 3/4 ton thinks they can put an unlimited amount of weight in their trucks but actually have no idea of the weight rating. Once you account for the deck, sleds, gear, passengers etc payload gets exceeded quick.

Premium Features