• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: SKINZ Protective Gear Concept A-Arms

bigecb

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
St. Michael, MN
FX Nytro/Phazer Oilite Front End Bushing Kit:
  • Replaces all the front end bushings in the front end of your 2007 and newer Yamaha 4-stroke!
  • Fits 2007-2012 Phazer/Venture and 2008-2012 FX Nytro models!
  • Kit Includes:
    -4 upper a-arm bushings
    -8 lower a-arm bushings
  • 2007-2009 Phazer $75
  • 2008 FX Nytro $75
  • 2009 FX Nytro $86

***Click on image for larger picture***​

So... does that mean you have them already or are looking at getting them now?

Thanks for the informative thread!

S

srxspec

Nov 27, 2007
www.ulmerracing.com
You can also remove the rear lower a-arm bolt/nut by putting your wrench through the rubber steering rod boot and onto the nut. I put a set of a-arms on our shop sled in the trailer the day before Hay Days and didn't want to remove my Roest skid plate so I found by going through the steering rod boot (I did not remove it) that I could get at those nuts.

Also if you're wanting to order the Oilite Bushing kit just give us a call and we can get your order taken. I will be leaving for the Milwaukee Snow Show on Thursday, but Ashley will still be there to take your orders. Just tell her you need a bushing kit for a 2009 or newer FX Nytro and that will fit your Concept front suspension.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
are you sure you want to use red loctite, I am a big fan of loctite, but use blue on everything so I don't have to use heat to get it apart.

Maybe you are using very little and it won't be a problem. I personally use loctite clean and prime and then the blue and have never had problems with stuff falling apart.

I haven't opened my package up and read the directions, maybe spg said to use red

kirk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just got this from Skinz Protective Gear a few moments ago.

Chris,

Sorry for the delay. Just got back from out West.

We had one other customer that had a chipped bushing. We have since changed our packaging method on the A-Arms.

Sorry about that.

We are sending you out a couple more bushings today.

You can knock the old bushing out and then push/press the new one in.

They are a press fit and we use a small arbor press to install them.

You can use a vise or something similar. It is not a hard press fit but snug.

In my letter to Skinz I asked about the problems with current stock levels of their product across the USA. I noted that many SnoWest members are having a hard time obtaining SKINZ products. This was his reply.

As for the demand for the running boards. There isn’t stock anywhere as we building everything we possibly can. This is pretty much the case with our entire product line. As you know, we are a fairly small company that will not compromise our quality to accommodate the demand. Our product line is very unique and for the most part, every item is hand made by about 15 people. I see posts and comments about how we should do better and hire more people. Sadly, our current culture in this country doesn’t do much for us right now. Hiring people that can and will do this work is nearly impossible and we have a serious dedication to keep this product made in the US and at a price that doesn’t drive people out of the industry. You and us have a very similar moral and ethical approach to the way we conduct our lives and our business. This ideology is what has created our product and the quality we try to maintain. This year we moved into a new building which is 42% bigger than what we had along with a huge amount of new equipment. We are producing more than we ever have which has happened every year since we started but the demand grows more than our capacity. The customers can know for sure that we are doing everything we possibly can to get their product out.

Thanks for all your efforts and support. We truly appreciate your presence and involvement.

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff Hawksworth
Skinz Protective Gear

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I am not sure but it seems to me that Skinz had no idea how quickly this front end would take off. The combination of the move this summer and how much demand there has been for all of their product has just put them behind. I don't think they had a chance to make extra to have on hand which has led to the slower delivery times. I think they will catch up and get this squared away.

I for one have been very impressed with their products so far. So I think anyone waiting for parts will find it to be worth the wait.

P

Pro116

Apr 19, 2008
Scott from OFT came over to my house and put my front end on a few weeks ago and he installed the ulmer olite bushings for me right away.I wan't much of a hand because I'm recovering from a motorcycle accident.
I would highly recommend putting the ulmer bushings in so you don't have to pull the front end back a apart in 2-3 years.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am not sure but it seems to me that Skinz had no idea how quickly this front end would take off. The combination of the move this summer and how much demand there has been for all of their product has just put them behind. I don't think they had a chance to make extra to have on hand which has led to the slower delivery times. I think they will catch up and get this squared away.

I for one have been very impressed with their products so far. So I think anyone waiting for parts will find it to be worth the wait.

BEHOLD THE POWER OF A GOOD ENDORSEMENT ON SNOWEST !!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The replacement bushing from Skinz arrived.
Now all I have to do is get the old broken one OUT and figure out HOW to press the new one in to replace it!!

P

Pro116

Apr 19, 2008
The replacement bushing from Skinz arrived.
Now all I have to do is get the old broken one OUT and figure out HOW to press the new one in to replace it!!

The old one you can chisel out just don't make marks in the arm.
Tap the the other bushing so it's square and the you can tap it in or take a long boldt with ashers and and nuts and tighten it in.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The old one you can chisel out just don't make marks in the arm.
Tap the the other bushing so it's square and the you can tap it in or take a long boldt with ashers and and nuts and tighten it in.

How fragile are these?
If I stack the 2nd bushing on the 1st and use a rubber mallet to "Tap" it into place is the 2nd likely to damage the 1st as it gets pressed in?

H

HDEMWET

Nov 19, 2010
i live in swastika, ont. canada
you can't stack the bushing because of the shoulder on it. to remove the old bushing without scratching anything, just use a hacksaw blade and cut the bushing in 2 places and simply pull out the 2 halves. To install the new one, just use the mounting bolt and washers, or a socket of the same diameter and "pull" it in, just don't try to hammer it in as you may crack the shoulder on the other side if you sit it flat on the ground, or the shoulder of the new bushing you're installing. I used an arbor press while at zbroz to install bushings if you have one or know of someone who does, this works the best. the bolt trick should work great as well though.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Picking up where I left off.
SKINZ sent me two new bushings to replace the one that arrived damaged.

Replacing the broken bushing was amazingly simple!

Placed the A-ARM in a vice and inserted a socket extender into it.

picture.php

Tapped it gently and the bushing started to come out.
picture.php

Replaced the socket extender with a long flathead screwdriver and tapped it
picture.php

And the bushing came right out with almost NO resistance at all.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I thought I was going to have to PRESS the new bushing in on a press.
NOT the case.
The new one slid in with just thumb pressure.
picture.php

picture.php

Premium Features