• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1989 indy 340

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
I have an old 340 that the kids are learning on it runs great at 1000 ft. And jetted for that when I jet it for 6000 ft. and take it to the Black hills it runs fine for about 15 miles then It gets really doggy and then wont turn the track, let it sit for 20 min and it is good for about 10 miles then acts up. Any ideas on what to look for or try to fix the issue. Kids aren't ready for a 550 yet. One is 7 and the other 2 are 4.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
You've probably heard the standard "clean the carbs" advice, so I'm assuming you've been through that. Beyond that, one thing that comes to mind is the idle settings. You may need to go leaner by turning the idle screws in and/or backing out the air bleed screws. Another thought, although it probably doesn't apply if it's running well at 1000', is a plugged vent line. Last idea is a bad primary clutch spring letting it engage too low; if that's the case, I can see it having enough power to get going at 1000' but not 6000'.

It's definitely a good sled for kids to play on: you don't need/want them going fast, and it's a lot more sled than a 120 (cheaper too). Maybe a little big for a 7-year-old, but at least that means you've got room to grow!

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
If you followed the jetting chart on the sled you maybe a tad to lean and getting it hot. That jetting was for non-ethanol fuel. You may be running a tad to hot and fan cooled sleds do lose power when getting hot. Check for debris under your cooling shrouds. Could be leaves etc partially blocking air flow. Also if the clutching is not set up for the altitude correctly you would be lugging the engine and creating a lot of heat. Peter

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Thanks guys I really appreciate it. I will look at all of those I figured it was probably something simple.

Premium Features