• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

11 m8 wont rev

S
Aug 28, 2017
oregon
Hey guys new guy here w 1st post. :face-icon-small-hap. Picked up a 2011 m8 (1700 miles)over the summer as a starter sled after my friend's got me hooked last winter. On our last trip out on 3 different occasions it wouldnt rev past 7700. Sounded exactly like a rev limiter. If I shut it off and restarted it would work fine for quite a while. The wrench icon on console came on steady w/o a code each time. I'm assuming there's a code that goes along with the wrench every time. Is there a way I can retrieve the code short of taking it to the dealer? Or does anyone know exactly what the prob is? I am very much mechanically inclined but electric is my admitted weak point.

S
Aug 28, 2017
oregon
Thanks. I will ck valves and cables. Good to know that codes will flash on guage. I thought maybe i needed to jumper some wires/pins to get codes like my pu.

S
Feb 19, 2017
if I am not mistaken the wrench just means that the ecu is reading that something is out of limits. if you get a code it should be flashing "ECU" and then the indicating number at the same time. For example: a flashing "ECU 12" is failure in the ignition coils.

Premium Features