• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 fly wheel and clutch cover bolts

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I'm looking to see if someone can tell me the size of these bolts off a 2019 850 fly wheel and clutch cover? I want to go with titanium bolt through a local bolt supplier.

Both the 800 axis and the 850 would benefit from heavier bolts not liter bolts.

The rotating weight of both motors is already to lite in relation to long life.

Clutch life is already very poor on both motors..... we have Ben Adding weight for the last 3 years and it’s all plus’s across board.

Dan

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY

Clutch life is already very poor on both motors..... we have Ben Adding weight for the last 3 years and it’s all plus’s across board.

Dan

I had Dan send me his latest clutch cover(2018 model) without the machined cutouts. It’s heavy for sure. It extended my primary maintenance and rebuild times three fold. That indicates the 800 AXYS engine has a harmonic issue.
I truly believe the 850 has the same harmonic issue. Possibly the reason for the floating pto bearing?????
Polaris’s historic use of an interference fit pto bearing may cause an early death if implemented in an 850. Time will tell the life of the 850 pto rod pin, with a pork chop style wheel, and a non-interference fit bearing. Think back to the big block days with a poor interference fit pto bearing.

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Remember once wound-up, the kinetic energy helps take over when the loads are high on the track. So keep the weight up to help keep the RPM more in balance with the clutching. Less variance in holding upper RPM, more like a flywheel effect! Don't worry about the gyroscopic effect on handling, Too light as is! Mike

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008

Dan
I will now be re installing the ring gear that I took off. Dan is the man. I don't care what Kelsey says about him.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
You have to admit that there is nothing more fun than Dan and Kelsey going at it.:face-icon-small-hap

I think I've said this before, but how great would it be to have a Kelsey-Dan argument thread? Only they can post, no moderation!

Back on topic though, I've heard others suggest more, not less weight on the clutch (not just with Polaris, I hear the Doo 850 benefits too). A bit quicker rev response is nice, but I'd prefer to go the other way if it meant 3x clutch life; also if the clutch is lasting longer, the crank likely is too. Still, if you want Ti bolts, they're not hard to size yourself, or the supplier can do it. I usually size them myself – I've got a thread chaser/cleaner set, and along with a caliper, it's easy work. If that's not possible, just bring or send the current bolt in.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I like to clutch using lighter weights and springs with low gearing. I have found that if the weights are too light, like crazy light on Doo and Cat that the sled revs so quick the engine will cut out. I think its a ecu factory safety thing. The ecu thinks the sled blew a belt and is gonna rev to the moon. It's annoying cuz it I have to tune around it and it does it when I need to grab a handful. I wish someone knew Ecu's and could change the settings.
On another note, the engine safety stop is almost at a perfect spot. If it cuts out, then weights are too light. If I go just a hair heavier weights, the engine doesn't cut out and it's about perfect. Kinda like a guideline. Hmmm, interesting.

Last edited:

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I'm looking to see if someone can tell me the size of these bolts off a 2019 850 fly wheel and clutch cover? I want to go with titanium bolt through a local bolt supplier.
M6x1.0x10

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Remember once wound-up, the kinetic energy helps take over when the loads are high on the track. So keep the weight up to help keep the RPM more in balance with the clutching. Less variance in holding upper RPM, more like a flywheel effect! Don't worry about the gyroscopic effect on handling, Too light as is! Mike
Sounds like extra heavy tracks would be the better helper in that interpretation.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID

Dan
Very much agree on the harmonics, especially with a turbo.

Some old school tuners had a rule of thumb to stay out of the rpm range these motors run at. Maybe there is something inherent in two strokes they where on to?

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
2020 season billet clutch cover news

Do to the over whelming success stories of extended service intervals of our Heavy duty Billet Clutch Covers we are doubling production this summer of our heaviest model....

This model has no holes and does not look as nice as our most popular black anodized windowed cover.

This year we are going to dress up the solid cover with some after anodizing machining.

Pictures to be posted at a later date.

Thank you !

Dan

Last edited:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Dan make a clutch cover with your face laser etched on it. It would be like we are riding and clutching together.

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Dan make a clutch cover with your face laser etched on it. It would be like we are riding and clutching together.

:face-icon-small-hap
LOL !!

Hey Kanedog we do on occasion a special request laser etch company logos and we started doing Birthday & Christmas gift etching with quotes and names.

��

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Do yourself and your sled a favor. If your not still riding like Chris Burandt keeps rubbing it in my face, take off your clutches and send them to Indy Specialtys now during the off season. Have them go through "everything", machine and balanced (each peace). You will have them back quicker than you think and you will be much happier with your sled next year. My Indy Specialty Clutches ran way cooler with smoother running. quick back shifting and longer belt life all season. I rode this set up in high and low elevations in Upper MI, MT, ID, CO and WY last winter. I love lightweight sleds, but if you want to loose weight on something, save weight on the 100 other things on the sled or drop 10 pounds off your behind, its much cheaper:face-icon-small-ton
Ive been building mod sleds for years and most people are wasting their money on pipes, turbos, big bores etc if you're not "putting the power to the ground". I have some step by step clutch cleaning, assembly and basic tuning on some of my older posts but Dan and TRS have forgot more than I will ever know about clutching:hail:

Last edited:
Premium Features