• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

340 clutch issues

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Just had my primary and secondary cleaned and rebuilt. Put on different spring because oem engaged to high rpm (blue and white) put gold and silver on. Now sled is real boggy. It will do ok on flats but hills it struggles. Obviously I need to try another spring. Any ideas?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Looks like the Silver/Gold spring is a much lighter spring (77-240) than the Dark Blue/White (120-310). That big a change is going to make it under-rev a lot and would explain the bogging. Engagement should be just before 4000 on that, but I don't have any references handy. I'd say the Gold spring (100-275) might do what you're looking for, but it could be other issues too. Is the belt in good shape and correct? With the belt and clutch spring removed, does the moving sheave slide in and out freely by hand? Finally, are the weights correct and in good shape?

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Looks like the Silver/Gold spring is a much lighter spring (77-240) than the Dark Blue/White (120-310). That big a change is going to make it under-rev a lot and would explain the bogging. Engagement should be just before 4000 on that, but I don't have any references handy. I'd say the Gold spring (100-275) might do what you're looking for, but it could be other issues too. Is the belt in good shape and correct? With the belt and clutch spring removed, does the moving sheave slide in and out freely by hand? Finally, are the weights correct and in good shape?
Clutch was inspected and rebuilt when I put new spring in. New belt and deflection in spec. Went back to oem spring and will probably just have him get used to it. My understanding is the 340s are supposed to rev high because they are under powered.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Just checked a couple of the manuals I've got, it looks like the old 340 (mid-90s) had the silver/gold spring you had in, but the microfiche for an EDGE 340 says 110-290 – doesn't give a color and doesn't match up with the springs listed in the manual I use. Looks closest to either the blue (120-300) or gold (100-275), but the dark blue/white is pretty close too.

If you can check peak RPM, that'll tell you what you need to know (I know a lot of these don't come with a tach). If peak RPM is off, then you'd definitely help yourself out getting it where it's supposed to be, especially with a 340. If you're going by ear, it's pretty hard to tell. I've heard of people who thought their engagement was sky-high, only to put a tach on and find it was in spec. I think that's partly an air-cooled thing, they make more noise idling and part throttle.

Premium Features