• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018w/MPI turbo Going into limp mode

andre162

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2008
northern california
Working on a issue that I had at the end of last year with my 2018 850 with a MPI turbo. Sled performed perfect for the first 250 miles or so but then started throwing a detonation code the last few rides. It would put sled to a idle instantly. This would happen only when I would hit the throttle hard. If I rolled into it gently it would spool up and run perfect. I had the codes looked at and it showed a lean code on mag side once. I have looked over all the wires and fuel lines and everything looks fine. I was wondering if this could be a clutching issue. Just want it to go back the way it was!! Sled only has 400 miles on it.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Reading your description of the problem it is hard to rule out that the system is doing exactly what it was designed to do and is protecting the motor from disaster.

Did something change? Fuel quality, fuel pressure, injectors function, fuel filter clogged, ignition timing......all can cause the situation described.

Will be interesting to find the cause.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Get ahold of MPI. I preordered one last year, I was SO happy that they never charged my card and I could get out of it. Their sponsored rider here had nothing but issues and went through two engines. Same kinda thing, everything started out great then went downhill fast.

andre162

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2008
northern california
I can pinpoint It back to one trip where I could have gotten some bad fuel. I have drained the tank pulled fuel pump and looked it over all looks good. I pulled the fuel filter off and cut it open but It looked good as well. Not sure how something could have gotten to the injectors thru the filter? I guess it could be a timing issue or a issue with fuel controller.

wideopenbeau

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2009
Milky Way.
I just picked up a 17 X 165 3" with the mpi on it and I was going over a few things (pre season checks) and found one of the air box to throttle body boots was ripped. The cause was the clamp being put to low on the boot and it sat in the gap between the two and rubbed a 2" slice in the boot. It is a pain to get the clamp to stay on straight. It might be worth checking to see if that's the problem on yours. By the way the kit seams to be very well set up.

Premium Features