• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HAS anyone bent tunnel carrying gas can on tunnel

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
After I read this thread title I had to do a double check, thought maybe I had clicked on the Polaris forum instead;)

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I believe they “lightened” the rear section on the 17 and newer Cats. Buddy bent his one day and has no idea how. Doesn’t carry anything. Have also seen multiple pictures of bent ones since. I would definitely consider some sort of bumper that stiffens it up regardless of if you are carrying anything there. BM Fab stuff is silly nice. No affiliation... but just received stuff from them for my new sled, and once again I am amazed by the quality. Probably some other good options as well though.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
the way they get bent is if you stick it deep and don't dig out the back a bit and just try to pull it around. the top snow could be soft but the lower snow is a bit more firm. the back section did get thinner in 17 and up. Dumb place to save .001 of a lb IMO

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
FYI I think it was only the MC that got the thinner rear tunnel in 2017. 2018+ they are all thinner.

I twisted my 2014 tunnel around a hell of a lot getting unstuck and didn't see any noticeable damage until I pulled the tank off and there were two small dimples under the corners of the trail tank. Of course this could have been from too many tailstanders on hard snow too! :face-icon-small-ton Anyway I don't do those things anymore with my 2017 MC tunnel. I carry a 10lb tunnel bag centered on the back and blitz the whoops pretty hard. I do have tube boards though that add some strength to the rear section connection.

Lacombe08

Lifetime Membership
Feb 6, 2017
Hey guys,

My first year on my 17' cat I bent the rear tunnel.

Did some research and talked with my buddy which is a cat mechanic and he said to replace the bumper with the heavy duty bumper for pulling a sleigh.

Never had an issue since. My understanding is that they modified the stock bumper design which creates a week point where the 2piece tunnel connects.

Don't get the pro mountain bumper.. no side impact strength.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
I still see lots of people mounting fuel cans at the back of the tunnel. i have seen tunnel damage done to both cat and Polaris just from riding rough trails with this setup. The closer to the drop brackets you mount the weight the better.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
? Bumper?

Hey guys,

My first year on my 17' cat I bent the rear tunnel.

Did some research and talked with my buddy which is a cat mechanic and he said to replace the bumper with the heavy duty bumper for pulling a sleigh.

Never had an issue since. My understanding is that they modified the stock bumper design which creates a week point where the 2piece tunnel connects.

Don't get the pro mountain bumper.. no side impact strength.

Which AC bumper is that exactly? I could only find the Pro-Climb bumper in the accessory catalog. I want to replace mine before this season to avoid a bent tunnel. Thanks

Lacombe08

Lifetime Membership
Feb 6, 2017
Let me find out the exact part number. I will get back to you sometime this week
Which AC bumper is that exactly? I could only find the Pro-Climb bumper in the accessory catalog. I want to replace mine before this season to avoid a bent tunnel. Thanks

Lacombe08

Lifetime Membership
Feb 6, 2017
Item#: 6639-912
01ffb11706e7fc05627a47db8bb42ce5.jpg

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
A buddy crinkled his 17 MC tunnel with just the stock tunnel bag on it. For some reason, he had it mounted all the way to the back of the tunnel. Not sure if it was whooped out trails and a loaded tunnel bag or a tail stander, but he's shown a couple of creases right where the running board gusset goes through.

Premium Features