• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Clutching & Gearing thread, sorry...

I
Nov 12, 2018
Let me preface by saying I searched the forums and didn't find quite what I was after.

I ride a 2017 M8000 with the TEAM clutches. I ride between 1500 - 3000 feet in elevation, and I have the primary clutch re-elevation kit from AC installed. I'm revving 8150 at WOT, so I think the primary is set up okay, but the problem I'm having is that half of my riding is on trail and I'm having a bit of trouble keeping up as I don't ride WOT all the time and run comfortably around 55 - 60 mph.

Tell me if what I'm about to do sounds within the ballpark; I'm planning on jumping from a 19T upper chain gear to a 22T. That should jump my top speed from 80 MPH to around 92, but my bottom end power may suffer a little, so can I get a different helix to fix this? Maybe a progressive helix to keep the low end grunt where it is, but even out up top to keep my RPM's down a little bit?

The sled has all the power it needs to get to top speed, I just feel that I'm not using 100% of the engine's potential. The only other mods done are GGB Mountain Can which shouldn't make any different. This machine has the 3" powerclaw on it.

Thanks for any comments, concerns and help you may provide!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I would def gear it up a notch but stop there. one change at a time. don't mess with the secondary at all until you've ridden.
Are you sure you have 19 upper tooth?

Last edited:
I
Nov 12, 2018
I would def gear it up a notch but stop there. one change at a time. don't mess with the secondary at all until you've ridden.
Are you sure you have 19 upper tooth?

Sorry, you're right. 21T upper, 49T lower, 90p chain. What should I gear up to?

Last edited:

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Which helix is in the secondary now? The AC part number for below 3000 ft is 0648-904. That change wont make you any faster just gets you to the same speed sooner with less throttle. For me I try to keep my 3" track at 45 mph or less, they just aren't built for speed. You may consider a 2.6", still not built for speed but can handle it better than the 3". For gearing the next set of gears using the 90 pitch chain is 22/48 that is a 6 mph top end increase, this is for a 7 tooth driver with a 3" pitch.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I think 45mph is pretty conservative as I can hit that at times with a load on it. I wouldn't try to run that 3" much over 65 for very long if you want it to last though. I've run my 2.6 up to 80 in bursts quite a bit, but not for very long. Speedwerx guys were running 75mph track speed uphill with the supercharger so maybe these 3" PC tracks are tougher than we give them credit for?

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Yes I think your right that they are tougher than we think. I try to keep it at 45 or less depending on conditions. I have being well above that just not for long stretches. We mostly ride groomed trails to the alpine and I try to be respectful by driving at reasonable speeds and keeping the ice chunk throwing to a minimum. Nothing throws ice chunks better than the Power Claw. I also run scratches and just another reason to keep things at a reasonable speed. I see to many with no snow flap driving like they going to a fire passing everything in site to park at the cabin. Sorry got side tracked a bit. In the end if a guy want speed I would still run a 2.6 PC that is still one of the best all around tracks made.

Premium Features