• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo piston replacement questions

tjcatman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Greenville Ca.
So I just changed the pistons on my BD turbo 2010 M-8 at 2000 miles. Honed the cylinders and put in new pistons rings etc. even though the old ones looked perfectly new. I run 10 lbs. on av gas mixed with a little premium. So my question is as follows.

1)Do I need to heat cycle the engine again?
2)Do I need to mix extra oil in the tank?
3)Do I need to turn the boost down for break in?

Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Yes, 1 and 2.

Run the sled until the temp light blinks, then let it cool down completely. Start and run for 5 minutes again running it at varied throttle openings and then RIP it!

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I started my sled in the garage, let it get nice and warm lifted the track up a bit and got the track spinning a bit. Then did the same thing the next day. Then held it pinned in the mountains with zero issues!

So yes 1 and 2 like said above, but nothing to crazy

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
When you get started on the heat cycles, first thing is make sure you feel your heat exchangers and make sure they are getting warm and you aren't air locked.

The way I have done it in the past is.
1. put the sled on a stand
2. fire it up, and then hold the throttle just enough RPM to keep the clutch engaged.
3. Hold it their until your temp light comes on. (Mine was about 3-4 miles)(double check your heat exchangers are getting warm)
4. then shut it down and let it sit over night or until completely cooled.
5. Do this same procedure one more time, then again let it cool.
6. After that let'r rip.

Thunder

Premium Features