• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Check Engine Light

brianwcooper

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2010
Sturgis, SD
Went out and rode yesterday from 5000-6000ft and the check engine light would come on for a bit then go out by itself. The sled seemed to be running fine all day i did get it to bog a few times while climbing full throttle. I have the Power Addiction 13.1 head on it and left the 60g weights in it that i normally ride in the mountains with. I usually run the 62g in the hills but didn't think it would pull enough r's to hit the limiter with the 60's so i left them in since we are leaving for cooke on Wednesday. I didn't know how to check the engine code until i got back and read the manual and now the code is gone. I read a few posts on here and seen that the code 173-3 exhaust temp sensor is pretty common to go bad on these sleds. Wouldn't it run bad if it was this though? I'm just wandering if i was hitting the limiter without knowing it. I will probably call the dealer tomorrow but wanted to have an idea of whats going on. I need to figure it out before we go to Cooke.

Try this

Start your sled and test the voltage coming out of the DC accessory plug down in the left side of the sled above the clutch cover. If you're not seeing 14 volts there it's one if two things. One it could be fuel pump beginning to fail and two it could be your TPS is way out of adjustment. There are threads on here that tell you how to check your TPS. Try this stuff then you'll have a head start when you take it to your dealer.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Take it to your dealer and have them pull the code with digital wrench. If the light came on, it set a code even though the light is no longer on now. To pull it yourself of the dash, the light must be active and on. With your trip coming up, don't guess, take it to the dealer. There are a large number of things that it could be. Don't ruin your trip on a guess even though we all have one!

Premium Features