• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Keep the 2019 stock front end or...aftermarket?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I had z-broz 39" on my axys and broke 1 bottom and 1 top. One riding buddy had kmod on one sled and broke 2 bottoms. on his turbo he made some braces for the stockers like above, and broke 1 bottom. They all brake but being in b.c. it's almost 2 weeks for aftermarket, When my dealer stocks them.

A
Well,

After having a conversation with Jake at Raptor, I'm 95% sure I'll be putting my Raptor front end on the new 850. Had a really good conversation (as usual) and discussed both options with no pressure to go either way.

To change / rebuild the front shocks to fit the new 850 front end, I'll have bout 215.00 into each shock. 430.00 to make the shocks work with the stock front end or..........leave them alone, bolt up the Raptor Front end with Raptor shocks and be done.

So, after sitting down and considering price (430.00 to upgrade shocks) and have a standard front end or leave the shocks and have have a potential stronger Raptor front end, I think the plan is to pull the stockers off and stick with Raptor.

Obviously saving some cash is nice, but really after thinking about how well my front end held together after hitting a nasty rock in Cooke and holding together, I think I should stick with it. Thinking back, a stock a-arm I think would have sheared off and I would have had more issues. The Raptor front end, crushed and held together and made it possible to limp back. I just don't think the new stock a-arms are going to be much stronger and why spend more money to run stock????? Plus add in the fact that how available will these new a-arms be,if you end up needing one??

Thoughts ???

In your position it makes sense to just bolt up your “proven” front end. I’d do the same if I had it on the shelf. I don’t believe selling your old sled with it attached to it carries to much value.
Now on the other hand where iv got a wider Z Broz front end, I am going to run this new and improved Polaris set up and see how it does. Really curious to find out if what many have raved about is true. I’m sure I’ll need to just revalve the shocks and see how the season treats it.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Well,

After having a conversation with Jake at Raptor, I'm 95% sure I'll be putting my Raptor front end on the new 850. Had a really good conversation (as usual) and discussed both options with no pressure to go either way.

To change / rebuild the front shocks to fit the new 850 front end, I'll have bout 215.00 into each shock. 430.00 to make the shocks work with the stock front end or..........leave them alone, bolt up the Raptor Front end with Raptor shocks and be done.

So, after sitting down and considering price (430.00 to upgrade shocks) and have a standard front end or leave the shocks and have have a potential stronger Raptor front end, I think the plan is to pull the stockers off and stick with Raptor.

Obviously saving some cash is nice, but really after thinking about how well my front end held together after hitting a nasty rock in Cooke and holding together, I think I should stick with it. Thinking back, a stock a-arm I think would have sheared off and I would have had more issues. The Raptor front end, crushed and held together and made it possible to limp back. I just don't think the new stock a-arms are going to be much stronger and why spend more money to run stock????? Plus add in the fact that how available will these new a-arms be,if you end up needing one??

Thoughts ???

Makes sense and I'd do the same in your shoes. I sold my setup in the spring so I'll be running the stock a-arms and ordering a set of Raptors for it again.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Thanks guys,

Sometimes I think I over analyse or just plane think about it too much!! LOL

I truly wanted to give the new stock front end a shot but.......in order to do that with my good shocks I have to spend another 430.00 plus shipping on upgrading shocks just to"try" the stock front end???

No we just need fall to roll around so these new 850's start rolling in!!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If I were in your shoes I'd ride it stock once or twice, then put the aftermarket front end on that you have. Then you'd know how much difference there is in feel. Keep the stockers around in case you hit something and need to throw them on for a weekend while waiting for replacement parts.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Thanks guys,

Sometimes I think I over analyse or just plane think about it too much!! LOL

I truly wanted to give the new stock front end a shot but.......in order to do that with my good shocks I have to spend another 430.00 plus shipping on upgrading shocks just to"try" the stock front end???

No we just need fall to roll around so these new 850's start rolling in!!

Yep...not spending dime and still have a better shock package than the stock shocks that will come on the 19.. The K Mod is just a bonus..

You have chosen wisely .........

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Did anyone notice much difference between the stock valving of the 2016/17 axys and the updated valving claimed for the 2018 model? I rode a 2018 and compared to my 2016 I thought it was only slightly noticeable. Guys that rode the 2019 and said it was an improvement may be comparing to a 16/17?

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Curious to know as well. That being said, never er had toooo many complaints about the stock piggy backs on my 16.
Word on the street has it the 19's are better yet. Thicker shaft and such if I'm not mistaken?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Curious to know as well. That being said, never er had toooo many complaints about the stock piggy backs on my 16.
Word on the street has it the 19's are better yet. Thicker shaft and such if I'm not mistaken?

Shaft is the same as before, they did not upgrade that but I'm guessing valving has been updated.

After running Raptors that last 4 years and two sleds, I don't think I could go back to stock, there that good!!!

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I'll be in the market for take-off a-arms and spindles once they become available. If anyone wants to pre-arrange this, shoot me a PM

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
We should have billet A-Arms for the new front end available around the end of August.
Started the CAD work yesterday, excited to show them off soon.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Last spring riding the new 850 Ill admit that I had figured it wouldn't live up to the hype...After the 1st couple days of riding it in almost all conditions (trailhead, sidehilling, climbing, boon docking etc) I was very surprised at how well "it" worked. "It" being the whole sled, the motor was noticeably more on the bottom end, mid and top end. It felt like my friend Ryan's properly tuned stage 3 800 Axys that was with us. The front end was much easier to throw around, but surprisingly decent on the trail to the truck with the narrower front end. I will tell you I was stuck in the 1st 5 minutes on it because I overcompensated laying it down to turn up and around on a hill. Wow, wasn't expecting that lol...A sled living up to the marketing hype. My embarrassment quickly faded as the smile grew under my helmet the more I rode it and got used to it. To be fair, we went out with some pretty trick sleds and others had aftermarket frontends and shocks which some I really believe in (thanks aftermarket for doing so much research). I swapped back and forth from different sleds to compare and in my opinion if you ordered an 850 I would ride it stock for a while to set your benchmark. Make small changes at first, even small shock adjustments make a big difference. On a side note, the turbo'd Skidoo 850 I rode for a day was all over the place with a different front end and wasn't even close to the stock 850 Pol handling.

Premium Features