• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Engine thread (840cc)

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
So with the 850 every dealer I asked went over there allotment. What happens to them orderes, the later ones? And how many they actually sell at all theses dealers. Mine was allowed 14 sold 20

So how can a dealer go over their allotment? If there allowed to submit 14 snowchecks electronically to Polaris for 850's, how can they all of a sudden submit more and its accepted ??????

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I'm thinking they are either on a waiting list for dropouts or dealer lied about their allotment to pressure buyers into snowchecking before time or spots ran out.

Yeah I guess I could see a "drop out" or "waiting" list that a dealer would keep but I don't see them actually snowchecking more then allowed.

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
Was told it is a percentage of the normal amount of sleds you order can be 850's so like 30 or 40 percent of your order so maybe be he had to order more sleds or it goes off of last years Amout you ordered don't know but this isn't the first dealer I heard had ordered more than there allotment. Other thought is maybe robbing peter to pay Paul idea and little dealers in farm towns didn't order there amount so they can send the balance to other dealers that over sold.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Allotments are marketing/sales BS. Business is way too competitive to turn down a cash down payment. If the money went down, the sled's gonna be delivered. Just say'in. "Yeah, we're over the snocheck allotment, guess you gotta buy a doo if you want an 850..." just ain't gonna happen. Dealer might be "encouraged" to take some more 550s, 600s, or 800s.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
So with the 850 every dealer I asked went over there allotment. What happens to them orderes, the later ones? And how many they actually sell at all theses dealers. Mine was allowed 14 sold 20

As a dealer you were told there was a limited number...so that part wasn’t dealer BS. What happens if you go over? Not sure.

If I had to guess...guessing there’s a grand total amount that they have production capacity for, and they took that number and divided it by dealer based on sales history. Some dealers will be over, some under and I would guess that as long as the total is in line....it’s probably all good. Total speculation but that makes sense to me

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
limiting 850 sales also limits liabilities (just in case the 850 has dependability problems, not that it's happened ever before, but just in case :face-icon-small-dis)...so if polaris produced lots of engines and ran into dependability issues, dealers would likely be stuck with some high priced inventory, and prices for new and used 850s would drop like a stone....not that it would ever happen---no wait, it has happened...and maybe, just maybe somebody in polaris accounting remembers it....:face-icon-small-win

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
limiting 850 sales also limits liabilities (just in case the 850 has dependability problems, not that it's happened ever before, but just in case :face-icon-small-dis)...so if polaris produced lots of engines and ran into dependability issues, dealers would likely be stuck with some high priced inventory, and prices for new and used 850s would drop like a stone....not that it would ever happen---no wait, it has happened...and maybe, just maybe somebody in polaris accounting remembers it....:face-icon-small-win

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the new 850 will be awesome with very little issues. after all, how many issues or problems have there been with the Axys 800??

Have faith....cross your fingers and hope for the best!!!

C
Jan 24, 2017
I had asked my dealer a couple of weeks ago and they had not heard anything about an allotment or only being able to oder a certain amount. I placed my order on the last day of snow check and received my confirmation. Seems like a sales gimmick.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I had asked my dealer a couple of weeks ago and they had not heard anything about an allotment or only being able to oder a certain amount. I placed my order on the last day of snow check and received my confirmation. Seems like a sales gimmick.

Every dealer around here has brought up their "allotment" and I know guys from a state over came this way as their dealers could not get them an 850????

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
From what I understand, snowchecked 850's that were over that dealer's allotment will have a later delivery date then say the customers who were snowchecked within their dealer's allotment.

Not sure how much merit there is in that but I guess we will find out!!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT

That's a good point, although it would fly in the face of everything Polaris has been saying about the 850 (in development and testing for years, class-leading power AND durability). Of course, what they say and what we get are often different things! Still, while I would be very surprised if there are no teething issues, I've got a feeling that the 850 will be a success.

P
Dec 13, 2011
hmmm

I too snow checked the last day with no issue??

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
That's a good point, although it would fly in the face of everything Polaris has been saying about the 850 (in development and testing for years, class-leading power AND durability). Of course, what they say and what we get are often different things! Still, while I would be very surprised if there are no teething issues, I've got a feeling that the 850 will be a success.

I’m hoping it’s a home run as I’ve got one checked too...but I’ll just leave this snapshot and link to the actual polaris brochure right here :face-icon-small-hap

http://polaris.hs.llnwd.net/o40/crp/2015/documents/brochures/2005-rmk-brochure.pdf

1B1C2339-0A21-4356-9F0B-DE8562F821D2.jpg

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Note sure. I was 15 at the time. Worked the state fair and spent every break drooling over the cut away 900 rmk 166” anniversary edition they had at the polaris booth. Thank god I couldn’t pull enough money together to upgrade from my ‘01 136”.

H

HSR

Nov 28, 2007
Atikokan,Ont
I spoke with my dealer yesterday. He said he was allotted 12 850's for snowcheck and filled them all. He then contacted Polaris requesting more availability and they gave him 4 more. This is in NW Ontario.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
I spoke with my dealer yesterday. He said he was allotted 12 850's for snowcheck and filled them all. He then contacted Polaris requesting more availability and they gave him 4 more. This is in NW Ontario.

Same here in Alberta, my dealer was allotted 19 and Polaris gave him an additional 7. He did not snowcheck more 850's than Polaris allowed.

Premium Features