• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 Polaris dragon 700 starts hard cold

S
Sep 14, 2010
NW IOWA
I have a 2008 dragon 700 absolutely will not start outside. Put it in the shop and warm it up and then it starts. Not as good as it should be. This is an electric start model.

So my last time out last year my voltage regulator went out. Replaced with updated one. Put it away for the year.
Now I'm having the hard starting issues as mentioned above.
Did I smoke the ECU too? Would that make it start hard?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Does it have fresh fuel instead of last years fuel with stabilizer? I've heard of a faulty stator causing this kind of problem as well.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
I have a 07 700 Dragon and it has always been hard to cold start, but since I got it Christmas of 08, I have learned some tricks #1 Let the boys in their 40's start it!!! Seriously, It is not electric start so I just grab the rope and pull it through slowly about 10 or 12 rope pulls before I get agressive , It loosens it up and that seems to partially get the Capacitor charged up and the machine will go with two to five agressive pulls. You might have the capacitor checked and check/replace the fuel filter, if that is partially plugged or restrictive, could be a problem, also check the injector to reed Bellows/rubber for any sort of loose clamps, torn to cause a vaccum leak. I think that if I were still riding mine a lot, (it's my wifes machine now and she only goes on warm days) I would get in McMasters Carr and get a glue on silicon heat pad 45 to 90 watts and put it on the case, and plug it in if possible. I know a couple of guys have done this with the early Dragons to include the 900's. Just some thoughts here!
gtwitch in wyoming

S
Sep 14, 2010
NW IOWA
Something is wrong with mine and probably yours. Mine has always started easy 3 pulls max. Sitting out in the cold. I have electric start too.
Now it takes 8 to 10 in the heated shop, won't start outside. Just funny it starts hard after the voltage regulator went out. Something needs attention, brought it to the local shop today as I think it's above my skill level.

I'm 24 years old and I will not buy a sled without electric start and reverse. Period!

D
Aug 25, 2016
Prime your fuel pump at the connector close to the front of the hood with a 12 volt battery... Prime for about 20 seconds get the fuel going through the fuel rail. Should start on 1 pull max 2

Last edited:

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
I was just having a hard starting issue and finally took to Polaris dealer. They found that the lines in the tank that feed the fuel pump had basically degraded and had actually broken in two. This was allowing fuel pump to suck air and or let the prime go back in the tank. They installed a new pump and lines. That's the only way Polaris sells it. Now it start in 2 to 3 pulls max.

S

snoboy

Dec 4, 2007
Maple Valley Wa
Can you describe this connector? Do I simply apply 12 volts for say 10 seconds? Is this due to the pump losing it's prime from sitting over the summer?

Mike

Premium Features