• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bad floats???

R

rhino

Nov 26, 2007
Greenwater WA
2001 SUMMIT 800. Mikuni flat slide carbs. I have been playing with the carbs all season with jetting and shims under the needles, so carbs have been on and off a lot. Finally got it dialed in when something new went haywire. It started running extremely rich and fouled the plug on the mag side. Found out hose to DPM was disconnected from the mag side carb. Thought problem was solved. However it was not and I went through another plug on mag side. Fuel consumption was way, way up. Condition got worse and i ran out of plugs,Could hardly keep it running and limped home. I'm thinking it may be a bad float? Is this a symptom of bad floats ? Or running without that hose on for a while does it mess up the MPMN? Or what else could be up?? PTO side plug looked fine.

Thanks for any and all input

S
Dec 27, 2007
Does your 01 have the carb heaters on them? Found on my 02 that I couldn't have them on at all at temps above 10 degrees. Anything above that it would foul plugs every time. Also, have you checked to make sure everything was put back together right? I mean needles are set at the same position? All jets unplugged? I would tear everything back apart and double check my work. If you do have a bad float it's going to be full of gas when you pull it out. Also, may be a bad needle and seat which will flood that cylinder out.

Premium Features