• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is a good dedicated snow and ice tire for a diesel pickup?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Dedicated for Ice and snow...

You need good open lugs for snow traction... but then most of them give up on ice traction...

Best of both... MT's studded..

I have studded GY-Duratrac's on my 2500HD-diesel... and like them for winter use.
I'd go with the Studded Toyo M/T's if I could find someone to stud them...
Otherwise... my next set will be Cooper ST's-studded or Hankook Dynapro MT studded.

Had the same, non-studded for summer...they wore out too fast.... switched to Cooper AT3's for the May-December use and have good longevity so far.

This one was interesting... Has to be some serious ice traction there!

I hate sliding around in the winter....so I stud my own..currently running cooper zeon ltz's ...very impressed with them load range e, very quiet, great traction(even though I would prefer an inch narrower for winter use)...wear is excellent and with a few studs...priceless on the nasty days.....
IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

Last edited:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I've been running the Kanati Trail Hog tires, 265/70-18 on my '15 GMC 3500HD 4x4 crew/SRW for the last 2 winters. I had studs installed as well. With about 250lbs of sand in the bed between the wheel wells and the weight of the topper, I haven't had any white knuckle experiences. They work well on ice and snow. Oh and most importantly, I don't drive like a dumbazz - we've all seen those people.....

http://www.kanatitires.com/products/truck-tires/trail-hog/#.WAaYjCSpn58

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Love Toyo mt siped.
Ran one set of duratracs, couldn't get them off fast enough.
Very soft sidewall under heavy load.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Love Toyo mt siped.
Ran one set of duratracs, couldn't get them off fast enough.
Very soft sidewall under heavy load.

What do you consider heavy loads? The heaviest i carry is 4 guys and 4 sleds and gear in a 25' enclosed behind a 15 crew cab duramax. I had duratrac's on my 1500 previously and i loved them! Best winter tires i had ever had....

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've read a bunch about people reporting the sidewall thing. But I have no issues with 4 guys in the truck, 2 sleds on the deck and 2 in the enclosed. What size were you running and what size wheel?

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I put general grabber Arctic LT tires on my f350 two winters ago, best thing I ever did. I also dropped down to a 1" narrower 17" wheel and did narrower tires but kept the overall diameter the same so speedometer is still accurate. They are load e rated, quieter than the duratracs I run in the summer and virtually unstoppable on ice/snow. I've got 20k on them and I should get an easy 10-15k more before half the tread is gone. Five trips out west from MN last year, two of them through some pretty bad conditions with zero issues.

I second this. Wonderful tire. Won't break the bank. This tire won the Tire rack winter tire shootout a couple years ago. They make a truck version which has a higher load rating

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Can't find any actual snow and ice tires in a 20" load range E.

I have been running Hankook Dyna Pro's on the last 3 diesels I have had and they have been averaging 45,000 miles a set with pretty heavy towing. They have been pretty decent as far as snow and ice performance, but was just hoping for something a little better.

I found a local shop who will sipe them for $15.00 a tire. I am going to give that a shot this winter.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I have 275 70 18's toyo mt's on four different duramaxes.
When sledding I usually have five sleds in tow.
I also pull a 24' Walton flat bed with misc farm
Loads.
Ran duratracs on a 2012 for six months, pulled
Them and put them on an old farm truck cuz I
was tired of the soft sidewall. Also tossed way
more pea gravel at the paint than the mt's do.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Sledding buddy has had good luck with the hankooks,
Siped they should be a great winter option.

W
Nov 10, 2010
I've also been impressed with the Duratracs. By far the best tire I've run for deep snow and packed snow. Obviously a mud tire is a little better in deep snow and Blizzaks are better on ice, but the Duratracs are outstanding all around.

I had them siped as well. I bought the 275/65R20s, but they offer 285/60R20s as well.

I have about 25,000 miles on them on my 14 Cummins. Seem to be wearing well and I will get another winter out of them, but I don't think I can get 50k out of them. We will see I guess.

When you say you had them siped, is that something the tire shop does or is there a "siping guy"in your town? I would be picky about who starts carving up my tires

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I hated everything about the duratracs. Squishy ride, crappy traction on packed snow and ice , tread wear. 17,000 miles and 50%tread. Put on hankook dynapro atm and much better ice, compact snow traction and hwy ride.

GS6

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Those seem to get very good reviews. I may have to look into those.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

On a 2500 diesel I would not reccomend them. I had them on my duramax and the traction was insane good till about 60% or 8000 miles. After that the traction seemed to drop in a hurry and by 18000 miles they were under 40% tread and no longer worked well so I sold them. 95% of those miles were pulling 8000lbs or so. I think they would be an amazing tire for a half ton pickup that you dont tow with or for the wifes car, but its hard to justify the cost on a tow rig.

Another thing- the wet snow traction with them was not good, but they hook up crazy good on cold hard packed stuff.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I like the new bfg ko2s.

I have duratracs on my dmax and bfg ko2s on my Tacoma and, granted there two very different rigs so it's not a fair comparison, but I have been much more impressed with the bfgs than the duratracs especially in slick icy conditions. My Tacoma is my wheeling/hunting rig so it sees alot of crappy conditions from mud to snow to rocks etc. and I've been very impressed with ko2s performance. Most times that little truck has struggled less than my buddies rigs with full on mudders except in deep mud, which is to be expected.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I like the new bfg ko2s.

I have duratracs on my dmax and bfg ko2s on my Tacoma and, granted there two very different rigs so it's not a fair comparison, but I have been much more impressed with the bfgs than the duratracs especially in slick icy conditions. My Tacoma is my wheeling/hunting rig so it sees alot of crappy conditions from mud to snow to rocks etc. and I've been very impressed with ko2s performance. Most times that little truck has struggled less than my buddies rigs with full on mudders except in deep mud, which is to be expected.

Noise wise, how are they? Honestly

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Goodyear Duratrac tires are excellent on snow and ice...and they look great. Tough to find a tire that performs great on snow/ice and still looks like an offroad tire meant for Man trucks. I run them on my Duramax and my H3T. It is the best all around tire I have run. If it didn't perform well, I wouldn't buy it!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I think the BFG KO2 are the best all around tire.
They have a nice ride, quiet ride, best snow traction of any All Terrain tire i have ever ran.

Decent mud traction also.
I run Hankooks because i bought them for $500 less than the BFG. I like BFG but so does BFG!

Just an FYI Michelin owns BFG.

GS6

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If u want an awesome snow tire that performs well on ice and deep wet snow then, IROK. Amazing snow traction and good in mud, Don't forget they look great too.

GS6

sledr900

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
WSS, MT
Duratracs

I have ran the Duratracs on my last two GMC Denali Duramaxs and have loved them. Going to try the Kanati Trail Hogs on my Ram 1500 ecodiesel as they look to be Duratrac knock offs at a discounted price.

Last edited:

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
The BFG AT siped. Something about the tread pattern and compound make them work on compact snow and ice. Best thing I have found without studs.

Premium Features