• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI releases E-Tec 850 Turbo (NOW SHIPPING)

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Turbo is installed.
Just running the final plumbing.
Should be ready to test fire the engine shortly.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

So the install is taking longer then expected?

Overall, unbiased opinion on install instructions provided with the kit would be great.

I've spent 10's and 10's of thousands of dollars on "new state of the art turbo kits". And I'm not to prideful to say that i made horrible mistakes purchasing them. I've done enough of the kits to know the ins and outs, the good and the bad....

Did this kit come with EVERY COMPONENT needed for install? Did it come with detailed instructions on the install with pictures included? If not..... what else did you need to purchase to complete the install? Any electrical splices or connections that aren't just plug and play or? Like I've Said I've done many turbo installs from a lot of the big aftermarket turbo kit manufacturers.... just looking for a TRUE install review on this kit.

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Mpi

My experience with the mpi turbo kit:
1-instructions are very detailed with pictures and not a step or detail left out. Like 140 steps from start to finish. Plan on a full day to install properly not skipping any steps. Kit comes with everything! Cut 1 OEM file line and thats the only step that modifies sled from stock. I've installed many turbo kits and this one is easy but time consuming.
2- clutching
I'm running stock gearing and helix.
Primary spring 200/380
968 weights that r approx 6 grams heavier than stock
20 grams with bolt and added weight(stock 16.7)
Secondary spring with 300 finish
Clicker 2-3 riding from 7-10,000ft
Haven't touched fuel controller settings
8000rpm is ideal, it makes boost so fast if your not weighted properly it will hit rev limiter. 250 miles and not one bog, hesitation, or hiccup.
Best sled and turbo setup I've ever ridden. It's not a crazy amount of uncontrollable boost but just right. I'd recommend tho to wrap your exhaust on turbo both top and bottom if you ride hard or u might melt some plastic.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
MPI

I agree with Ghost Rider! Stage 2 for me next year!

There is better clutching out there than OEM parts. BJ's ramps with a Dalton spring gets the bolt weight down to 15 ish grams and brings the engagement up to were it should be with a turbo.

I would recommend header wrap on the exhaust components.

Kit is clean with very linear power.

I also like to see what's going on so I added gauges. I have a couple buddies that did the kit as well with no gauges. I would say it isn't necessary as there has really been no tuning to speak of.

I am however curious to see how the variable vein turbo stacks up against the traditional ball bearing turbo's on the 850.

1-instructions are very detailed with pictures and not a step or detail left out. Like 140 steps from start to finish. Plan on a full day to install properly not skipping any steps. Kit comes with everything! Cut 1 OEM file line and thats the only step that modifies sled from stock. I've installed many turbo kits and this one is easy but time consuming.
2- clutching
Primary spring 200/380
8000rpm is ideal, it makes boost so fast if your not weighted properly it will hit rev limiter. 250 miles and not one bog, hesitation, or hiccup.
Best sled and turbo setup I've ever ridden. It's not a crazy amount of uncontrollable boost but just right. I'd recommend tho to wrap your exhaust on turbo both top and bottom if you ride hard or u might melt some plastic.

IMG_1395.jpg IMG_1394.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So the install is taking longer then expected?

Overall, unbiased opinion on install instructions provided with the kit would be great.

I've spent 10's and 10's of thousands of dollars on "new state of the art turbo kits". And I'm not to prideful to say that i made horrible mistakes purchasing them. I've done enough of the kits to know the ins and outs, the good and the bad....

Did this kit come with EVERY COMPONENT needed for install? Did it come with detailed instructions on the install with pictures included? If not..... what else did you need to purchase to complete the install? Any electrical splices or connections that aren't just plug and play or? Like I've Said I've done many turbo installs from a lot of the big aftermarket turbo kit manufacturers.... just looking for a TRUE install review on this kit.

We would be out RIDING right now save 2 minor issues.

#1.
My dang Rivet Gun has VANISHED out of my garage, and we have driven all over town trying to buy a new one, and no one stocks one. So I have to order in a new one. Beats the living crap out of me WHERE the heck it walked off to.

#2.
The MPI Turbo comes with an AFR Sensor Bung Hole welded into the Turbo. You MUST either bolt on an AFR gauge OR plug the hole with a Bolt. MPI does not include that Bolt and I do not yet have the AFR Gauge to install. No one in our town carries an 18mm bolt.

So, those two items stopped me dead in my tracks from being able to take the beast out and ride her today.

While we plan on doing a full INSTALLATION and REVIEW article, I will say in "General" that this is one of the better installation manuals that MPI has put out. This is our 3rd MPI installation. There ARE a couple places where we have written down notes in the manual to pass along back to MPI with some suggested clarifications to make the install EASIER and more PRECISE for the reader. But MPI SERIOUSLY stepped UP the quality of the manual and used LOADS OF COLOR PHOTOS to walk you through the process!

A required Tool List is Not included
A required Parts List is Not included

Estimated time to install.
6-8 hours for a competent mechanic with all tools and parts on hand.
12-16 hours for the shadetree guy who is tackling this for the very first time.

o2bncamo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2009
wisconsin
Many oil drain plugs are 18mm. I went to a Auto Zone and they had one.
I sure a NAPA or anything like that will have an 18mm plug.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Bought a hand rivet gun!
ANDRA had a bung hole bolt

7d90d0a542adff565fb31c4a6a75bd62.jpg

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007

2- clutching

Primary spring 200/380

Curious. At what RPM did you hit the rev limiter?

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Rpm

Curious. At what RPM did you hit the rev limiter?

When I'm looking at gauge the highest I see it rev is 8200 but when I hit high rpm recall it's like 8460 and screen flashes rev limiter. I added a bit of weight and haven't seen it since. Mainly happened crossing an old track u couldn't see or when sled leaves the snow for a split second.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
FYI some guys don't notice that if you reset the rev limit on your sled and you put it in reverse it will automaticaly show 8300-8400 top rpm. So if you are truly trying to see what your Max rpm is make sure you never put it in reverse from the time you reset to the time you look at it again.

Premium Features