• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shipping to Canada / Alaska ???

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Hoping to be one foot ahead of the action this yr and would like to know the opinions of THOSE WHO LIVE THERE as to the most efficient means of shipping from here to there?

My packages are only in the 2# area I s'pose?

I have checked UPS to Alaska and that is just so funny it hurts!

I see USPS continually advertising their "flat rate" packages. They never say or show AK on their map that I can think of. Doo to the nature of USPS I would like to think that AK is the same as shipping to Iowa? Or is it more?

What kind of time frame is it to ship it Flat Rate? Is this an issue that it would take too long for folks to wait for? (More repair part related than assessory)

Canucks!

I used UPS last yr. Their rate didn't seem too out of line and the delivery time seemed to be about a 1 day lag to git over the 49th, but that was it. But then it was brought to my attention that the reciever of the package was having to pay dutys - and to a VERY sizeable summ no less! What's more - AFAIK - they didn't even know the value of the contents to figure from?

I still don't git this "duty" thing. No taxes via NAFTA, but we will duty you to death?

Last I knew - going through the mails system was a month long process sometimes? I see more and more folks on E-bay refusing to sell to Canucks - assuming that this is a shipping issue giving THEM a black eye?

Value of the contents are prox $200.

You're duty free you're tax exempt
You party with the president

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
USPS flat rate boxes are flat rate including to AK! Ordered a bunch of bearings a couple years ago from a guy in MN on ebay, prolly 20# worth and they fit in a flat rate box and that is what was charged for shipping. USPS priority mail is quick and efficient to AK, better than UPS, shipments can take 2-5 days. Parcel post is 3 weeks, great for shipping tracks reasonably to AK.

4mcntrls

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Drayton Valley Alberta
It is acceptable, I know that it is going to be a little slower but the duty charges are very reasonable. It is by far my favourite way to ship. I have never had anything get hung up for to long, UPS I have had a week or more delay at the border and sometimes a $50 or $60 bill for brokerage duty etc.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I have checked UPS to Alaska and that is just so funny it hurts!

Welcome to our world of freight (Alaska). Everyone tries to stick it to us with freight charges. USPS flat rate boxes are a great deal if you can make your stuff fit. USPS Priority or parcel are the next best options. UPS and Fed Ex can get real pricy unless you have a corporate account. Go online to the USPS website and play around with your 2# weight and box measurements and see what it will cost you.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
In Canada when I ship to the USA I just use Canada Post. Seems to be the most reliable and cheapest.....I know...I know.....who would have thought the gov't delivery system would be the best way to go !!!! From BC to eastern USA in 5 business days for expedited parcel. 37 lbs,$1000.00 ins cost me $83.00.

A
Oct 9, 2008
denver,co
lived in anchorage and flat rate boxes from most usa or canada is abou 5-9 days most in 5-7
by far the best way
i always find it funny on ebay and these forums ak is like and extra 20 or so
wtf haha

D
Nov 26, 2007
Prior Lake, MN
I shipped several things from my IQR to alaska and Parcel post from usps was by far the cheapest. It takes a little longer to get there but I sent the whole front suspension including spindles and tie rods for $26 or something like that. Took about 10 to 12 days to get there but it was better than any other option.

Premium Features