• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Charmac vs Highcountry/alcom

ejf50

Lifetime Membership
Mar 6, 2008
Hey guys!

I want to pull the trigger on a new trailer this week! I am going back and fourth on all aluminum or not.

What are some opinions on which way to go? Pulling with a duramax for the most part so I dont think the weight will make that big of a difference. I am looking at getting something in the 28' range. Looking for something decked out with options and rated for car hauling as well.

Can anyone share their experiences?

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I haven't owned either brand, but here is my thoughts. If you travel in areas where they use salt or calcium chloride on the roads I would stick to aluminium if possible. I hate the rust. If that's not the case i would for sure want a steel trailer. If you are pulling it with a diesel pickup the extra weight is your friend. Much better in the Wind. Of the steel trailers i have looked at recently (i am shopping also) the Charmac looks the best.

dhtrailer

Lifetime Membership
Hey guys!

I want to pull the trigger on a new trailer this week! I am going back and fourth on all aluminum or not.

What are some opinions on which way to go? Pulling with a duramax for the most part so I dont think the weight will make that big of a difference. I am looking at getting something in the 28' range. Looking for something decked out with options and rated for car hauling as well.

Can anyone share their experiences?

Please let me know if you have any questions about these trailers. We off the Logan Coach Horse Powers and have had a lot of customers that have had all kinds.

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
salt vs aluminum

I haven't owned either brand, but here is my thoughts. If you travel in areas where they use salt or calcium chloride on the roads I would stick to aluminium if possible. I hate the rust. If that's not the case i would for sure want a steel trailer. If you are pulling it with a diesel pickup the extra weight is your friend. Much better in the Wind. Of the steel trailers i have looked at recently (i am shopping also) the Charmac looks the best.

Aluminum gets eaten up by salt too, maybe more so than steel. I would wash either kind after trips thru salted highways. If you want lighter go with Aluminum. I think the rest of this comment above i agree with. Not trash talking but i see alot of aluminum all eaten up around my area.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My thoughts echoed comment above.

Aluminum is not corrosion proof! I’d much rather deal with a rust problem than an aluminum problem. I’ve done both. Both can be prevented and rust does occur more rapidly, but it’s much easier to reverse when the time comes.

I’ve had the same charmac since 2004, love it. Have had to sand and paint the hitch and v a few times over the years. Owned several other charmac sand a few haulmarks through that time as my family grew.

I run extremely rough log roads and charmac makes a tough trailer.
Had a small three place aluminum trailer that snapped the hitch on one trip with us, so that’s another factor. Aluminum doesn’t like to bend or flex.

Just a few thoughts, not hating on aluminum, my trucks and suvs all get polished and CLEAR COATED machined aluminum rims only to keep them free of ugly so it definitely has its strengths.

All trailers have their strengths and weaknesses, biggest for me over the years has been optimizing hieght, length, axle capacity, and lighting. Matching that to your budget is also important. I’ve enjoyed adding furnaces etc and rebuilding older cheap trailers as much as the newer fully fitted one that you pay more up front for.

The charmac I’ve owned the longest has become part of the family and I get threats from my kids and wife if I mention selling it.

Charmac, Logan, trails west, all great trailers. Had a couple great haulmarks as well, they are a bit lighter built, but still held together. Easier to tow with a lighter vehicle.

J
Jun 5, 2011
West Slope Colorado
After a few other trailers, we went to a charmac avalanche a few years ago and couldn't be happier.
It's a great little trailer, very well built. And well stocked with basics.
The build quality seems to far exceed other brands I've had.
We went with steel due to price difference and they put a good coating on the frame at factory. There will need to be some maint done at some point, but we hit the wash bay as often as possible to keep the mag chloride from sitting on trailer and it's looking okay.

I'd suggest some glides (supertrack or similar) as any floor, no.matter what they say gets torn up by carbides.

Captainsheaff

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2011
Definitely check out the Logan if you're looking for quality & must have options that no other brand has... Galvanized main frame with aluminum build up above=zero corrosion. I put 20k miles plus a year on two logan horespowers and the trailers look like new at the end of the season! As for glides mentioned in a previous post, we see 1K+ load/unloads a season per trailer and have (knock on wood) not seen any floor damage. The logan also comes factory with a full caliber package on the doors. This makes for really smooth loading and an added level of safety working around the trailer. Feel free to hit me up with any questions or if you want pics of the trailers. Good luck
Justin
@chiefsheaff

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Trailers

I bought my 1st enclosed trailer in 2010, a Mirage Highmark Extreme Snow-Sport 28' ft bumper; Pulls great even in blizzard crosswinds; nice features,insulated/heated,38 gal. fuel tank for 91 octane, tough, coated flooring, cabinets, etc. I cannot compare to other brands, but I have been more than happy with mine

ejf50

Lifetime Membership
Mar 6, 2008
I finally bought a trailer! Loving my Charmac from Wasatch Trailer Sales! Damon took amazing care of a very tricky sale situation. Helped get the trailer shipped on a days notice to a buddy of mine riding out west who then pulled it home to Minnesota for me!
Cant say enough good things about those guys and also Kourtesy Logistics for the awesome deliver to my buddy! Thanks guys!

https://apis.mail.yahoo.com/ws/v3/m...lNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=5

Attachments

• Trailer4.jpg
    Trailer4.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Trailer3.jpg
    Trailer3.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 105

ejf50

Lifetime Membership
Mar 6, 2008
picture.php

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
Just bought an 8.5x24 Charmac Trisport Elite (all alluminum) and am very pleased. They are pricey but fit and finish is far above most other brands we looked at. We got it with a 40K BTU furnace and diamond plate rubber floor. Out the door just shy of $24k.

Premium Features