• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.
J
Feb 11, 2015
I blew my top end on my 2001 xc sp. I was out riding for about 5 miles and I pinned it 0-60 and lost the top end. I didn't know it at the time and rode it home which made it a whole lot worse. I ended up with 1 shattered piston and 1 that was starting to crack. The bottom end turned out to be ok. Do i have a cooling issue? An oil pump issue? Heat sensor? If so what should I be looking for? My sled overheats at idle and has never been reliable as far as cooling. I want all the kinks out as I start over.

20150114_221703.jpg 20150114_221210.jpg 20150114_221043.jpg

T
Dec 25, 2007
That's odd. From my memory and experience the xc sp sleds were pretty well covered as far as staying cooled assuming you were not idling for long periods of time-which no liquid cooled sled can handle.

Have you ever flushed the coolant system? The other question is whether you see coolant puddles on the floor-even little ones? And of course, if it is a big block twin, did the water pump belt frump out? The last one was fairly common and pretty much a death warrant to the coolant system...and the rest of the engine if you don't stop...

Good luck!

Premium Features