• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tragic loss near Yampa

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Saw this posted on Facebook over the weekend: apparently a snowmobiler's sled broke down and he attempted unsuccessfully to walk back out. Not sure if the story is correct or not, it says he was found further up than his sled. Could be exposure, or maybe a heart attack (he was 64). He must have been riding alone, and with no one aware of the area he was in. Obviously, lots of things could have prevented it, but we all get complacent. You never know when the holes in your plan are going to align, so don't go without a good one. RIP, brother.

https://kdvr.com/2019/02/24/craig-man-found-dead-after-snowmobiling-near-yampa/

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I thought of that too; I've got an InReach myself, and that almost certainly would have saved him. Could be even somebody knowing where he was and calling for help when he didn't return that night would have been enough. And obviously, not riding alone. If more people (in general – I think most of us here are more careful) would just read these accounts and think "how can I make sure this isn't me?", there'd be a lot less of these sad stories.

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
The guy has rode alone for years, he was found a little ways down trail heading towards the lot, not sure why he left his sled as it was barley stuck and he was a big feller. S&R said his sled fired 2nd pull when they went to retrieve it. he died of hypothermia. RIP Frank

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I used to ride alone all the time and I survived, but I can't look bad and say I made all the appropriate decisions. My take on it is that I still wouldn't recommend it, but I won't tell someone I know to be disciplined and experienced not to. I'd suggest the following rules:
1) Only ride where there are other people around and don't ever be the last one out.
2) Always have a plan and tell a responsible party what it is, as well as giving an "if you don't hear from me" time.
3) Always carry an emergency signaling device (SPOT, inReach, RescueMe, etc.).
4) Always carry provisions for food and shelter to last you a couple nights.
5) Don't ride in known avalanche zones or questionable terrain unless others can see you.
6) Don't ride in bad conditions, and turn around if the weather goes bad.

I'm sure some could add to this, while others would say "never ride alone." With good reasons. The truth is, it's all a risk decision. The reality is there are probably more killed in avalanches than cases like this. The way I see it, someone riding alone but being disciplined isn't necessarily taking any more risk than someone riding slopes with avalanche potential, no matter how well trained and equipped, and what group they're in. Obviously I don't see it as a non-starter, but it does limit you a lot unless you accept some pretty dangerous situations (which you shouldn't). Thing is, when something goes wrong and you're on your own, there's no one to give you first aid, no one to help you dig your sled out, no one to give you a ride or get help. Riding so aggressively that you're likely to get seriously injured in time, or in poor weather, or dangerous terrain is foolish to my mind, but seldom deadly in a good riding group. Those questionable decisions become much more dangerous riding solo.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I think threads like this are a great place to remind solo riders in the lot to just ask groups to go ride with them. I usually ride as a group of 3 or 4 and we have never turned down 1 or 2 more riders. Things happen and bigger groups are usually better. I've been on both sides of this equation and I've never been turned away either- sledders are almost always great people who are very inclusive.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Horrible to hear! RIP
Hypothermia is no joke....16 year old son got hypothermic last year, was honestly the scariest few hours of my life out of all crashes, mishaps, etc in the back country.
This gentleman must have been hypothermic when he got stuck, based on the above post.
For those that haven’t seen it, once you get hypothermia, your brain turns into a vegetable.
Went on a search once for a missing rider. The story after they found him was the poor feller wasn’t that far from his machine. Similar situation, stuck but not wrecked or broken down. But he was practically naked. Had summarily removed most of his gear a piece at a time. It was a trail of gear from his sled to where he laid.
Be safe out there!

Premium Features