• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crested Butte Riding???

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Would anyone be interested in showing 6 of us around the Crested Butte area friday saturday or sunday? We all have avalanche gear and are experienced riders. Would be greatly appreciated, seems like a place you can get yourself in trouble! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Would anyone be interested in showing 6 of us around the Crested Butte area friday saturday or sunday? We all have avalanche gear and are experienced riders. Would be greatly appreciated, seems like a place you can get yourself in trouble! Thanks

I would call Ben at Montrose Implement, Montrose CO. They are the Doo dealer here. Ben has been riding up there pretty regularly lately. The pics look pretty good. He is always up for a good time and would probably take you, or knows someone that would.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I would call Ben at Montrose Implement, Montrose CO. They are the Doo dealer here. Ben has been riding up there pretty regularly lately. The pics look pretty good. He is always up for a good time and would probably take you, or knows someone that would.

Thanks for the advice!

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Stay off the hill to north of the trail ride into the riding. It doesn't look that dangerous, but it is. They have slide paths named sisters 1 through 7.

Then use your eyeballs everywhere else.

Splains Gulch has safe kindda fun flattish type tree riding, and is a good spot for beginners to learn to tree ride. Find a map, there's a loop that gets you to Splains. East part of the loop has some high consequence avi paths above trail with another 1000 below the trail to get carried before you're burried. West side part of the loop is pretty safe, and how i go in and out when avi danger is high.

Some safe play up towards Irwin lake also, but also some of smaller hills need to be given respect as there's traps below many of them.

Just watch your terrain angles, and look for traps.

CB has it's own avi report, and the guys are pretty good. Check it, and pay attention.

Premium Features