• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

viper loss of oil prime

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
So what are you supposed to do once this happens? and how exactly does it happen?

If not in a hurry I just let it sit for 10 minutes or so and start it and shut off a couple times in a row. If on a hill and need to go now pull off breather hose on oil tank and plug with hand and start to force prime.

Vendor on here sells a roll over kit with reprime, I will let him explain his kit.

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
Both of those and the Phazer did it too.

I guess anything is possible, but its way worse on the viper. Myself and my buddies have a turbo phazer, Apex and my RX1 upside down and stuck 6 ways from sideways and never had this problem. we have had oil spill but never the loss of prime.

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
On totallyamaha a guy had it happen while in a long wheelie. Everyone on there says they miss there nytro and apex after having this issue. This is a completely different issue compared to other Yamahas and I am surprised Climax does not have more input on this.

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
Not trying to pick on the viper or anyone else but I want to buy this sled and boost it of course but I dont want to make a $20 000 plus mistake.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
It sounds to me that everyone is talking about two separate issues. I think handsome is referring to the sled loosing oil pressure completely and everyone else is talking about oil running out through the oil breather line. If you don't have a roll over kit on your 4 stroke that is just plan silly.

Last edited:

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
If not in a hurry I just let it sit for 10 minutes or so and start it and shut off a couple times in a row. If on a hill and need to go now pull off breather hose on oil tank and plug with hand and start to force prime.

Vendor on here sells a roll over kit with reprime, I will let him explain his kit.
The re-prime mode is used in situations where the oil pump may have lost it's prime after a roll-over event.

Basically how the re-prime function works, is we are using the ROV shut-off valve to plug the breather hose/tube during re-prime mode. The effect is similar to the method Stingray 719 mentioned above, only you don't have to pull the hood and plug the breather manually by hand. Just push and hold a button down for a few seconds!

As an added safety feature the ROVCM control module regulates how much pressure is applied to the oil tank during re-prime through pulse width modulation (variable voltage) to the shut-off valve.

http://fourstrokesolutionsllc.webs.com/xf7000srviperrovkits.htm

Bill

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
The re-prime mode is used in situations where the oil pump may have lost it's prime after a roll-over event.

Basically how the re-prime function works, is we are using the ROV shut-off valve to plug the breather hose/tube during re-prime mode. The effect is similar to the method Stingray 719 mentioned above, only you don't have to pull the hood and plug the breather manually by hand. Just push and hold a button down for a few seconds!

As an added safety feature the ROVCM control module regulates how much pressure is applied to the oil tank during re-prime through pulse width modulation (variable voltage) to the shut-off valve.

http://fourstrokesolutionsllc.webs.com/xf7000srviperrovkits.htm

Bill

This would be great but for the guy or guys who have lost oil circulation during a long wheelie or super steep climb, is that enough ? Loosing oil pressure at full throttle cant be good.

Nytroboost

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
I know the 14's had the issue you are talking about. But that had a lot to do with tank design and ecu programming. The 15's and newer they change the inside of the oil tank and changed some settings on the programming to get rid of this issue. I have taken my viper in some crazy spots and have not had an issue.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I think the reason RS did not have much to say because the issue has been dealt with as Nytroboost mentioned. I also think that the issue was blown out of proportion with a lot of first time 4 stroke riders and 4 stroke haters. You have to be careful rolling one of these sleds over after it has been upside down just because of the design of the 4 stroke engine. When they have been upside down for an extended or even a short period of time, you cant just roll them over hop on and pull the cord like a 2 stroke. you have to take a few and let the fluids settle before you fire them back up. you just have to use a slightly different approach when they have been rolled over.

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
My 15 viper with the mpi oil update still leaks oil, still loses oil pressure, and still cuts out when low on oil. Im about at my wits end with this crap and my trailer floor has the evidence all over it. My mcx phazer still runs like a top and keeps all its fluids inside it when on its side or upside down.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
My 15 viper with the mpi oil update still leaks oil, still loses oil pressure, and still cuts out when low on oil. Im about at my wits end with this crap and my trailer floor has the evidence all over it. My mcx phazer still runs like a top and keeps all its fluids inside it when on its side or upside down.

Something not right, I have rolled mine numerous times and just got back on and take off. Girlfriend rolled hers and left it on its side running for a full two minutes and it lost prime, was no big deal. You should still have my number give me a call and lets figure out what's wrong with yours (I suspect something wrong in your separator)

Please note there were a few Vipers had issues with the separator and the check ball in it especially if you rode the Viper and then put it in an enclosed trailer. If the check ball had water in it (or crud) and froze oil would pump out. The separator is a big improvement on the older 4 strokes in that a check ball closed off the flow of oil out the breather when upside down. You still could get oil to come out if partially on its side though.

Last edited:
S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
On totallyamaha a guy had it happen while in a long wheelie. Everyone on there says they miss there nytro and apex after having this issue. This is a completely different issue compared to other Yamahas and I am surprised Climax does not have more input on this.

Going to have to disagree with you, I would stay home if I once again had to ride my old Nytro or Apex in the backcountry. I once asked the girlfriend to give me a ride out and was going to leave my horribly stuck boosted Nytro on the hill...but she talked me out of it. Now I ride the Viper places I could never ride my Nytro and enjoy it

You have to quantify the post by who it is and a lot of posts over on TY are by people who not only do not have a Viper but have never even ridden one (kind of like here too)

How my Nytro spent most of its time,

http://www.snowest.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=256096&stc=1&d=1441906368

nytrostuck.jpg

Nytroboost

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
I believe you guys are talking about 2 different issues still. What handsome is saying was a real issue with the 2014's if the sled got vertical enough in a climb or wheelie the ecm would detect a low oil pressure and shut it down causing major problems if in a chute. For the 15's Yamaha changed the baffling in the oil tank so when the tank is horizontal all the oil can't flow to the top of the tank very quickly and losing suction. They also did some programming to give slightly more time before going into derate. You can get all this done for a 14 Yamaha was offering the programming update free of charge and then you would have to buy the tank baffling.

Cheers

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Going to have to disagree with you, I would stay home if I once again had to ride my old Nytro or Apex in the backcountry. I once asked the girlfriend to give me a ride out and was going to leave my horribly stuck boosted Nytro on the hill...but she talked me out of it. Now I ride the Viper places I could never ride my Nytro and enjoy it

You have to quantify the post by who it is and a lot of posts over on TY are by people who not only do not have a Viper but have never even ridden one (kind of like here too)

How my Nytro spent most of its time,

http://www.snowest.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=256096&stc=1&d=1441906368

not sure what that has to do with the nytro & apex not losing prime:face-icon-small-conthey did lose oil when upside down.
i have close to 10000km between vector,apex & nytro never seen one lose prime + have been around allot of them.
i never had a issue with my 15 viper but i put a roll over valve on it from start,i had it upside down 4-5 time without issue.
the 14 were real bad if you stopped pointed down hill sometimes they would not start.

Premium Features