• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

One cylinder loading up on fuel 02 800 RMK

D
Dec 22, 2008
Quick question guys- I have an 02 800 rmk, obviously Mikuni carbs. I'm having an issue with one cylinder severely loading up with fuel, ultimately killing that cylinder. When I turn the fuel off, it cleans itself out and the flooded cylinder comes back to life. Our first try at fixing it was to clean carbs and replace needle and float assembly. Thought for sure this would fix it, put it all back together and boom, same problem. If I turn the fuel off for awhile, it idles great and the second I turn the gas on, it floods the one side and kills that cylinder. Somehow it's pouring fuel into that cylinder and the needle/float isn't the issue. Same size jets each side.

We're a bit perplexed on how fast it floods the one side, any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Damon

D
Dec 22, 2008
Choke and floats are working fine. Brand new float assembly in the bad side and it made no difference from the original float/needle/seat. That's the only way fuel gets into the carb, seems like a no brainer but.. That's not the case. I'm wondering if the fuel is dumping into the motor as fast as it comes into the bowl, so the float actually never has time to raise up and plug the hole? Not sure if this is even possible but I can't figure out what else it could be.. Would it be a fuel pump related issue. Is it possible that the fuel pressure is so high that the float needle can't close the hole? Probably not but I'm just throwing **** at the wall seeing if it'll help drum up some ideas.

Choke isn't the problem I don't believe, that seems to be working fine...

Thanks

D
Dec 22, 2008
Yea the needle/seat/float kit came assembled with the a new o ring so that should all be good. We have an 01 700 that we're going to rob the carbs out of and put it in the 800 to verifiy that it is in fact the pto side carb on the 800 carbs. Still no idea what would be causing this.

Thanks for your input though

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
what cylinder is it flooding? fuel pump diaphragm can go bad and cause fuel to go through fuel pump through the vacuum reference line and fill crank/clinder

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Heinracing nailed it. It's flooding the mag side through the pulse line.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I just had knee surgery and I'd still have run her down to get out of the way of that cow. You got to be dumber than dirt to walk that close to a cow and not even bother to glance at it. :face-icon-small-con

D
Dec 22, 2008
I may have to investigate the diaphragm issue, maybe just throw a new one at it. Any chance it could flood the pto side because that's the side that's flooding. Any way of checking it or confirming that the diaphram is the issue? Thanks guys I appreciate it.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
When you take apart the fuel pump, there is a nickel sized clear plastic diaphragm. One side contacts the aluminum valve and gets rough with use, and loses it's seal. The other side stays smooth. So you flip it over so the smooth side is then in contact with the valve.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I thought the pulse line was on the mag side but I have been know to be wrong. :face-icon-small-win Have a look at where the nipple for the pulse line is on your crankcase, maybe this theory is out the window.

D
Dec 22, 2008
so far we have:

switched out the rack carbs with carbs from an 01 700; same issue
switched out the fuel pump with the 01 700; same issue
checked compression, 145 on the bad side, 150 on the good side; same issue
switched plugs from hole to hole, also switched plug wires; same issue

we are going to try and switched reeds from side to side and see if the problem persists on the pto side. inspected the reeds on the pto( problem side), they looked good but still going to try and switch sides and try to eliminate that possibility.

thanks for all the input guys, still not fixed but at least we have guys throwing ideas out, it all helps.

D
Dec 11, 2013
NewHampshire
I'm having the same problem with my 04 700 edge, but it went from one cyl to full hydro lock sitting over night with fuel valve left on. I pulled the pipe and it poured fuel like crazy.
going to look at fuel pump.

Last edited:

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
You might disassemble the spark plug contact cap from it's plug wire to the coil, nip about 1/2" off, and screw the cap back onto the plug wire. Might as well do it for both sides.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
If you have spark on either cylinder your stator is ok, spark on only one side is either the coil, the wire or the cap.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Get yourself some Polaris personal watercraft plug wire caps. They are better.

If you pull both plugs, reatttach them to the plug cap, and ground them on the cylinder head, you can then pull the starter rope and see whether you have equal spark from both plugs.

Premium Features