• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to the Tractor

Feb 6, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I recently purchased an 06 900 151". I will admit I did this blindly not aware of all the problems. This does bother me a bit, but seeing how the deal is done, I am committed at this point. This is my first sled in 15 years and man, things have changed over the years. I can swing a wrench on a diesel with the best of them, however I feel a little intimidated by this machine, seeing how I know very little. I have read all the stickies more than once. So I will be here asking many questions for sometime to come. Thanks in advance.

Heres what i got....
06 900 151" 831 miles, slp intake, radiator delete, slp can, slp heat vents.

Things to do..
Balance clutchs, replace motor mounts, torque and push arms, change spindles, slp pipe, and inspect all wiring and protect as nessessary.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Welcome to the forum:beer;

You definitely found the right place, the guys in this forum are by far the best guys around when it comes to setting these machines up to rip:face-icon-small-hap

Sounds like you got a good start on what you want to do and a low mile machine to make the deal even sweeter, congrats!

As you have been doing, familiarize yourself with the stickies, there is weeks and weeks worth of great reading on how to fix problems and set these rides up to run at their peak:eek::face-icon-small-coo

Welcome:beer;

Feb 6, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Thanks

I love the torque and am amazed at how this beast will go anywhere I point it, as well it will dump me off in a heart beat while trying to crave. Im a little rusty after 15 years. I first day I bet it dumped me 15 times. Hahaha. Too much fun, really sore and tired, so I need to get some power steering on this thing quick. Did notice that it has a tendency to be tippy a low speed on hard pack and it also is a pain in the but to turn at low speeds in the deep stuff when trying to get through tight spots.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
try countersteering at slow speeds in powder and giving it a little throttle.

F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
Welcome! You are on the right track for your updates. Some have had problems with the SLP can cracking but I have 2000 miles on mine and it hasn't cracked so I got a good one. The tippy problem on the hardpack could be several things. Is the swaybar removed? That can cause it. Try checking the alignment on the spindles and skis also. Have Indydan balance your clutch. Don't be intimidated by this sled. I hadn't had a sled this new before and have relied on this website for everything I have done to mine. These guy's won't steer you wrong and they have a wealth of information to share.

Last edited:

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Welcome...

Not sure what you have in mind for motor mounts, but would strongly suggest doing that right the first time or you WILL be doing it again if you just replace the actual mounts with Polaris parts. Go with the Compfusion mounts in the front and a new set of mounts for the rear, then get the Franz crossmember for the front. I just went the Compfusion mounts and after about 5-6 rides I noticed my crossmember was broke which took out the rear mounts again and I had to pull the motor back out.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Welcome...

Not sure what you have in mind for motor mounts, but would strongly suggest doing that right the first time or you WILL be doing it again if you just replace the actual mounts with Polaris parts. Go with the Compfusion mounts in the front and a new set of mounts for the rear, then get the Franz crossmember for the front. I just went the Compfusion mounts and after about 5-6 rides I noticed my crossmember was broke which took out the rear mounts again and I had to pull the motor back out.

Same thing happened to me with the cross member, but Colin (Compfusion) has updated his Mag side mount. It now extends 2" further past the steering notch-out so prevent these failures.

Feb 6, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I was planning on the Compfusion mounts, but thanks for the heads up to replace the crossmember.

Dumb question i know the primary clutch has to be balanced and sheave shimmed correctly for the belt. Does the secondary need the same??

Also, something i read last night, whats the purpose of scrubing a new belt and heat soaking it?

Last, what better for new spindles, HRP or 09 polaris spindles?

M

monster715

Nov 4, 2009
Wisconsin
Welcome to the club!!

The big thing with the belt is to get the mold release off of it. That stuff will transfer to the belt sheaves and leave a 'glaze' on the sheaves.

As far as the spindles go......that may come down to what you want to spend. If you go with the '09 or newer spindles - make sure you get the lightweight ones with the cutouts (PN 1823543 & 1823544). If you are interested in the Holz style - take a look at the Polaris spindles that they put on the 2010 race sled. They are literally the same as the Holz spindle and they are cheaper than the Polaris lightweight spindles mentioned above. The part numbers on those are 1823561 & 1823560. I am not sure what the cost on the Holz spindles are.

I have the IQR spindles on my 900 (the 561 & 560) and they work great.

Good luck!!!

A

Aussie Niko

Thanks

I love the torque and am amazed at how this beast will go anywhere I point it, as well it will dump me off in a heart beat while trying to crave. Im a little rusty after 15 years. I first day I bet it dumped me 15 times. Hahaha. Too much fun, really sore and tired, so I need to get some power steering on this thing quick. Did notice that it has a tendency to be tippy a low speed on hard pack and it also is a pain in the but to turn at low speeds in the deep stuff when trying to get through tight spots.

Get a copy of "SCHOOLED" You will learn a heap and progress.
niko.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
As far as the spindles go......that may come down to what you want to spend. If you go with the '09 or newer spindles - make sure you get the lightweight ones with the cutouts (PN 1823543 & 1823544). If you are interested in the Holz style - take a look at the Polaris spindles that they put on the 2010 race sled. They are literally the same as the Holz spindle and they are cheaper than the Polaris lightweight spindles mentioned above. The part numbers on those are 1823561 & 1823560. I am not sure what the cost on the Holz spindles are.

I have the IQR spindles on my 900 (the 561 & 560) and they work great.

Good luck!!!

Can you post a couple pictures of those IQR spindles?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
You need to buy two ! For some reason most of us are dumb enough to own two of these money pits.:D

Welcome !

cheaper to buy two and mod them than to get one new sled:face-icon-small-hap

LOL...how true...we just get our first 900 setup like we want then we buy anothe rmoney pit to destroy the check book all over again...AWE...LOVE THESE BABIES..lol.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
LOL...how true...we just get our first 900 setup like we want then we buy anothe rmoney pit to destroy the check book all over again...AWE...LOVE THESE BABIES..lol.

Number two is doing it's magic. I found a DynoPort pipe and can for it, got an FBF cable, an SLP head and I haven't even got it paid for yet....lol

M

monster715

Nov 4, 2009
Wisconsin
Yeah - there was a collarboration between Polaris and Holz on this and Holz essentially allowed Polaris to copy the design (at least the functional geometry of the part). I dont recall what Holz got in return for it. I think the only difference is that the Holz part actually has their logo embossed in the spindle somewhere.

Premium Features